Oak from crawl space?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Sep 23, 2016
minneapolis mn
The room my stove is in has a crawl underneath which leads to a basement. This is an old farmhouse so no windows or fresh air in the basement . I was thinking if I ran my oak through the floor it would help circulate air through the basement and crawl. Or is my thinking flawed?

I wont say your thinking is flawed because at least you are thinking. It's getting rare to find anyone now'a'dayz that even knows how.
But though it would pull a lot of air and get things moving, I wonder about safety in the event the stove malfunctions of looses power. Usually if the oak is plumbed to the outside, and the stove looses power, the smoke can get out either the exhaust or oak, or both. If the oak is plumbed through the floor, the smoke may end up in the house unless you have a very good exhaust that can draw the smoke like a warm chimney.
I think it will be tough to get much support because of the risks involved.

I plumbed my OAK (for a woodstove) to the crawlspace but mine is a ventilated crawlspace, ventilated to the outdoors with screened openings. This is a great place to draw air from because it is unaffected by wind, snow, kids, and it changes the air out of the crawlspace more often. I've read many pellet stove manuals that forbid the intake of combustion air from "enclosed" crawlspaces which I believe yours is since it is non-ventilated. How is that different from drawing air from the next room over? Who knows. It wouldn't be an outside air feed but rather a remote air feed.

I don't think the volume of air is that great for it to really circulate air through the crawl space. However, I would try to vent outside if possible then look at some sort of separate ventilation system for the crawl space.