OAK Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tsmith

Minister of Fire
Sep 13, 2009
Kutztown, PA
Hey everyone, I want to install an OAK on my Accentra and I have a question for ya. Do you think it is ok to install the OAK on top of the exhaust? I know it says it should be aside of or under the exhaust, but in my situation I really can't do that. If I put it on top, it will be tight to the outside wall and the exhaust extends out about 20 inches, so it will have the 12" separation that the manual calls for. I can't go underneath because the exhaust is to close to the floor to allow this and I can't go to the right side because there is an outside corner to close. I can't go to the left because where it would go there is a downspout on the outside of the wall. So top is the best option. What do you think.

No opinions?

It's boating season, not pellet season!

Give the guys in the know a few days and the answers will trickle in.

I agree with Dude. May send you a PM ( conversation ) tomorrow.

Do a search. Something should come up....

I agree with Dude. May send you a PM ( conversation ) tomorrow.

Do a search. Something should come up....
Enlarging your avatar, it looks like your stove is set in a corner....? Why not do your OAK, going basically straight out but angled slightly to the right or left? Just one slight curve with 5+ feet of pipe and your covered screen end piece, trim and insulation and your done. Hopefully, this is on a side or back of you house. Bill

Enlarging your avatar, it looks like your stove is set in a corner....? Why not do your OAK, going basically straight out but angled slightly to the right or left? Just one slight curve with 5+ feet of pipe and your covered screen end piece, trim and insulation and your done. Hopefully, this is on a side or back of you house. Bill
The vent pipe goes out the left wall behind the stove, and the above problems ensue here. The right wall is the front of my house and is a brick wall, so that is not an option. Will probably end up going out to the top of the vent pipe.

I'm not a fan of an OAK above the exhaust, it is a position that prevents a natural draft out the vent, with that particular stove it may not make any difference when the power goes out to lunch as the flapper will shut off the air flow.

What does the manual for the Accentra say?

Quad doesnt really state a whole lot in the manual (Classic Bay 1200).

12" is about the industry standard. Smoke rises, but Harman is a true sealed system, with flapper (sail).

PM sent.

Have you considered the vent pipe that has the OAK built right in with it. The OAK vents just at the surface of the exit, and the stove exhaust vents further out. Another potential. Add 90 degree elbow and go out then up about 18 inches. That should leave the OAK lower. The thing you don't want is air that has been used for combustion should not be recirculated back into the combustion through the OAK. The energy efficiency will drop should that occur.

I have my supplies for the OAK ordered, I am going to look at it closer when it comes and remeasure everything and figure this out. I can go to the side but it will end up setting out from behind the stove pretty far due to the outside downspout and the location of my wall studs.

I will try to get some pics for ya to show you what I'm up against tomorrow afternoon.

Here is a pic of my situation. the vertical blue tape shows the location of the wall studs and the horizontal tape show the location of the outside downspout. I was thinking either putting the oak on top of the exhaust or maybe try to squeeze it between the stud next to the vent and the downspout. It will be a tight squeeze but I think if I put it tight to the stud it will fit. I need to wait until it comes to see actual dimensions before I decide.You can also see that it won't be much lower than the exhaust because the exhaust is only about 8" from the floor and then the floor trim is there yet. Photo 5.jpg

Well, I installed the OAK today, all went well. I was able to squeeze it in between the vent and the wall stud and exterior downspout. It is a little lower than the vent but more than 12" away from the end of it so all should be okPhoto 8.jpgPhoto 9.jpg

Reactions: DexterDay
What about the Harman intake thimble? Its cleaner, as its all in one. Apologies if someone mentioned it already.

What about the Harman intake thimble? Its cleaner, as its all in one. Apologies if someone mentioned it already.
Well, the thing is, I won this stove and was allowed to have whatever the dealer felt was necessary for install. I asked him about an OAK and he said as many do that it is not needed. Therefore, he only provided the exhaust and I did the OAK after the fact as I did with my Quad. I don't understand why the Harman and other manufacturers owners manuals strongly recommend an OAK and the dealers seem to think they are not needed.

Do all you pellet pros run an OAK your stoves? I don't have one on mine, but the more threads I read on here the more I'm considering the purchase of one before next season. Are they a must have to get the most out of your stove?

Do all you pellet pros run an OAK your stoves? I don't have one on mine, but the more threads I read on here the more I'm considering the purchase of one before next season. Are they a must have to get the most out of your stove?

Big debate here... I made an analogy in another thread that wasn't appropriate, I guess...!?!

But that one here (OAK) is about as big as Ford vs Chevy.

Without an OAK, every CFM of air your stove pushes out your exhaust (80 Cu Ft per Min on High) is replaced through every single drafty spot in your home (bedrooms, kitchen, etc). You are taking the warm air inside your house and pushing it outside, replacing with cold air

With an OAK, you have a sealed system and it draws cold air in and pushes it out. Keeping all the warm air in your home....

Pretty simple equation to some. Others think the flame is "colder" because of the outside air temp. A 40°-80° temp difference. (Instead of 70° inside air, your using outside air that sometimes gets below 0°). But the flame inside your stove reaches 1,500° at times and will not notice that little difference in temp. Also, cold air is more dense and carries more Oxygen.

You can guess which way I sway. Ford..... LOL ;)

If your stove did a good job and your house wasn't freezing in the bedrooms, then you could get by without it. But most stoves manufacturers recommend and some even state its mandatory (every Englander pellet stove).

I found with my Quad, that it burns much better and hotter and as was just stated, there are no more cold drafts being pulled through the home from doors and windows. I imagine it will be the same with the Harman.

Here is a similar situation. you have a medication prescribed that has a warning not to take with food. You ask your pharmacist about this, they tell you not to worry about that warning because it doesn't seem to matter to them. You ignor the advice given about food. The med helps but you still have some symptoms. The question here is how effective would the med have been if you had taken it as directed.
If you want to have your stove give you the best heat, you should follow the instructions. Not doing so may alter outcomes.

Dex,
The house didn't seem to be to drafty and was quite warm.

Save$,
The maul strongly recommends an OAK on lower level installs. When I bought the stove my dealer said an OAK was only necessary when to close to windows. They seem easy enough to install. Will have one soon.

Reactions: DexterDay
Dex,
The house didn't seem to be to drafty and was quite warm.

Save$,
The maul strongly recommends an OAK on lower level installs. When I bought the stove my dealer said an OAK was only necessary when to close to windows. They seem easy enough to install. Will have one soon.
I would venture to say that you cannot go wrong by installing an OAK. It certainly should not hurt anything and should enhance performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.