Oak, really does dry slowly

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oconnor

Minister of Fire
Nov 20, 2005
Nova Scotia
This is the first year I've had oak to burn in my insert. We had it delivered in random lengths in May 2013. Cut, split and stacked it outdoors by July on a hill top in full sun. Stacked it inside in my insulated, dehumidified basement come early October.

Thirty percent oak, the rest maple and ash. It was machine harvested, so all the bark was loose and most fell off while processing it. Dehumidifier keeps the basement dry, and I had a fan blow thru it so it would dry as best it can.

I say all this to show that, other than a kiln, I did the best I could to optimise drying it. Guess what? It didn't dry. The ash and maple did, but the oak is all at best 25% moisture. Most it north of 30%.

It will burn once my stove and chimney is fully warmed up, but the heat it not good. Temps drop off when it gets used.

So, it's getting stacked aside for next winter. I have lots of wood on hand, so it's no problem.

Wanted to share for those who still wonder. It's true, it takes at least two seasons for oak to dry. Thought I'd post it here in the stove forum for the new burners that don't "get over" to the Wood Shed forum often.

For the extra curious, it's red oak, all split to less than 6 inches.

Sounds like my first year burning....except my wood (oak) was delivered in early November. I stacked it next to the house and then came here and it was suggested to put it in the basement with a dehumidifier and fans blowing air on it.

It was a pain. The next spring I scrounged my own wood rather than rely on dealers.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
I just split some oak rounds that have been sitting for 5 years......still not that seasoned, go figure....

When I first started collecting wood in the spring of 2012 I started putting it all in my fully enclosed shed. Most of it was split, but the 16" and larger rounds of oak, maple, ash, and sycamore I never got around to splitting. I figured I wouldn't need it until next winter, but because it's been colder than normal I had to start splitting and using it 2 weeks ago. The sycamore and ash are fine, the maple isn't too bad, but that oak is still around 25%!!! I know being in a building with no airflow and un-split isn't ideal, but I still assumed after 2 full summers would have been fine. I learned that lesson the hard way. FWIW, everything I split was fine.

I just split some oak rounds that have been sitting for 5 years......still not that seasoned, go figure....

Just one more story to tell that wood just don't dry much at all until it has been split. So if you get rounds, split them. Well, the small ones will be okay; just give them a bit of extra time.

Reactions: hickoryhoarder
I'm burning 4 year stacked red oak this winter (about 3 cord of it - stacked in good sun/wind and top covered) and I still have some splits that hiss - most is excellent, but funny that some just still holds enough moisture to bubble from the ends. Most moisture is gone quickly and no problem with the fire catching, but still makes me scratch my head when I see it. Can't imagine burning oak that hasn't been stacked for a LONG time. Cheers!

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Even if time is an issue getting it all split knock those rounds in half before stacking and this will help a ton. Obviously the smaller the better(or quicker) but just 1/2ing them will make a big difference vs. leaving them whole until you can complete the process.

I'm burning 4 year stacked red oak this winter (about 3 cord of it - stacked in good sun/wind and top covered) and I still have some splits that hiss - most is excellent, but funny that some just still holds enough moisture to bubble from the ends. Most moisture is gone quickly and no problem with the fire catching, but still makes me scratch my head when I see it. Can't imagine burning oak that hasn't been stacked for a LONG time. Cheers!

That is not uncommon. We've burned 6 year old oak and had some sizzle but like yours, that sizzle was very short lived.

You all know smaller splits will dry quicker. How small ya wanna go? The gassification boiler requires smaller splits than most folks use in anything else except maybe your wood burnng cookstove. The red oak that I have used all this winter was harvested in December of 2012 and delivered on January 1st of 2013, in 8 foot lengths. By total snow melt, I had it all split and stacked. In September of 2013 it was loaded to a covered open ended shed. At first use in October, the moisture content was 20% or less. Now it is showing 17% or less. If ya need it for the coming winter, split it wicked small.

I agree, don't rush oak. It'll be ready in 18 months sometimes in my driveway, but that's a driveway that gets 12 hours of sun in July, can go up to 110 degrees easy. I bought 3/4 cord mixed wood last February. Used the cherry in December, and it's real good now. Used the hickory in January, and it's getting better by the week. Haven't touched the oak -- knew all along it's for next year. Very few fissures yet in the ends of the oak. Once you get used to it, you can tell when it's ready. Ash also benefits a lot from two years.

When I first started collecting wood in the spring of 2012 I started putting it all in my fully enclosed shed. Most of it was split, but the 16" and larger rounds of oak, maple, ash, and sycamore I never got around to splitting. I figured I wouldn't need it until next winter, but because it's been colder than normal I had to start splitting and using it 2 weeks ago. The sycamore and ash are fine, the maple isn't too bad, but that oak is still around 25%!!! I know being in a building with no airflow and un-split isn't ideal, but I still assumed after 2 full summers would have been fine. I learned that lesson the hard way. FWIW, everything I split was fine.

Yeah, wind and sun really help, so I'd probably go three years in a shed. I like to season wood out in the open, in the sunniest spot possible, covered only by the firewood on the top of the stack. Even cooked in a sunny driveway,split oak can take two years. I usually won't touch it for 18 months.

Yeah, wind and sun really help, so I'd probably go three years in a shed. I like to season wood out in the open, in the sunniest spot possible, covered only by the firewood on the top of the stack. Even cooked in a sunny driveway,split oak can take two years. I usually won't touch it for 18 months.

My plan was to let it sit 3 years, but with this winter I had to dive into some of next year's wood. I've also stopped storing my wood inside. I've got a couple buddies paying to store their boats in there now, and I figure the critters that stacked wood attracts probably isn't a good match.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." - Mae West

And even though she wasnt talking about oak, the principle still applies.
And not to brag but I have many other high btu species to rely on. Ironwood and beech and black birch and sugar maple and some shagbark. Why wait around for oak when you are loaded with black birch?
If something needs coaxing along I have plenty of birch and aspen to heat things up. ;-)
Im patient but it helps if you go after the dead stuff too. Lots of oak carcasses laying on their sides...just waiting for someone to give them a resting place in the ash pile.
Life is good.

Love this forum! By the time I have my house and am living in it, I'll know better what I'm doing. I'm going to see about getting my trees felled before I get there (to Oregon) in April (5 day visit).

Status
Not open for further replies.