Oak rotted out in center

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

metalfingers

Jan 15, 2017
Central IL
My neighbor had a big oak branch fall, as I was cutting it up the closer I got to the trunk the more it was rotted out in the center. I think most of what looks fine will make good firewood, my question is - how good is the outer part of these logs? Is it still worth splitting and burning the part closer to the bark?

IMAG4464.jpg
IMAG4466.jpg
IMAG4465.jpg

Reactions: Dtcryan
Definitely, as long as it's properly seasoned it will burn great. I would make sure it's covered from rain/snow.

Reactions: D8Chumley
Good wood is good wood. As long as you keep it dry as stated it won't decompose anymore and be fine. I have a good deal of oak like that.

My neighbor had a big oak branch fall, as I was cutting it up the closer I got to the trunk the more it was rotted out in the center. I think most of what looks fine will make good firewood, my question is - how good is the outer part of these logs? Is it still worth splitting and burning the part closer to the bark?

View attachment 195854
View attachment 195855
View attachment 195856
Burn it all! After burning pine for a year and then getting some oak my second year I would prefer even punky oak as long as it's truly dry over fast burning pine. Even the dry punky stuff burns longer than the pine which I am surrounded by.

It will be fine! I love to get oak like that ! splits easy and burns as well as anything else!

Reactions: Jeffm1
Yes.

I get into sugar maple like that sometimes - I just split it up, give the questionable splits a couple good whacks on the foot of the splitter to dislodge the really punky stuff, then carry on.

Reactions: Jeffm1
That looks like great firewood to me. I took down a standing dead red oak this winter that yielded almost 2.5 cords. I'd estimate that 3/4 of the wood looked like the example in your pictures. It is currently split and stacked in single rows exposed to the elements. In a year I will put it in a covered rack, and then burn it the following year.

Those hollow logs are fun to save for an outdoor campfire, acts like a chimney up thru the center.
Trust me. Try it.

Reactions: firefighterjake