Oak - the story of frustration.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just came in from splitting my white oak,hoping that by splitting it small in May I'll be able to burn it in October.This discussion reminded me of how well old oak burns. I better get looking for some seasoned wood for this winter.

Good luck. I've heard some wild claims about burning oak but I would never attempt to burn oak in that small space of time. We tried to burn some oak that was dead after drying only about 9 months. It went back in the stack.

By burning or attempting to burn marginal wood people are just asking for problems. Why not get wood that will burn decent without any problem at all? The benefits of doing this is that you will burn less wood and get more heat from it. In addition, you will not have creosote problems nor will you be fighting the stove, trying to get the wood to burn.

Oak is one of the slowest-seasoning woods there is. Red oak needs two years and white is probably about the same. Ash, cherry and locust can season quickly in the right conditions, but I would not get my hopes up about splitting white oak in May and burning it for this season.

It's about priorities. Dry wood is a priority for me, so other things get pushed aside for it.
Some others do the opposite, then complain the stove is broke, or a piece of crap.
I'm the little pig who built the brick house, and only popular when someone else needs help because they didn't do the work.:p
Kind of a funny story, yet frustrating. My brother and his sons came to help get our wood put up when we first got here ( he had lived in the woods already and burned wood).
I returned the favor that first fall.
Seeing the waterwood didn't burn well, I made up my mind things would change no matter how long or how much work it took (4 years). He, on the other hand, continues trying to burn less than dry wood and is frustrated EVERY year. He'd rather go fishing or hunting or golfing, or pretty much ANYTHING other than do the work.
He had the experience, so there's that. Lot of good it does him.
I won't give up on him until he's dead. Or I am.
If you change expectations, frustration is gone. Well, unless the new expectation is wrong too.:confused:

Well put Dave. For us it is a space issue. I could burn all oak if I chose, but that would put me into the 4-5 cord category, which I don't have room for. Oak, maple and cherry fit the bill, less of a seasoning time, and I don't worry that it won't be ready for the next season.

I just had a cord delivered this week. I'm finding that there are a few short splits that I am going to put to the side and give them to him in the fall to see the difference. I feel obligated to keep reminding him to change to a quicker drying species, because I know he has creosote over there and it concerns me. I am trying not be be the "I told you so guy" .

fishingpol, I fully understand space constraints, but at least you get that there are alternatives which will still allow burning dry wood.
I'm fortunate that I have tons of space, and for the last 5 years, we've burned almost all oak. I know the frustration.:mad:
Using more softwood and maple in the next couple years to see how that works.
Keep on him, in a good friend sort of way,....maybe he'll come around.

fishingpol, I fully understand space constraints, but at least you get that there are alternatives which will still allow burning dry wood.
I'm fortunate that I have tons of space, and for the last 5 years, we've burned almost all oak. I know the frustration.:mad:
Using more softwood and maple in the next couple years to see how that works.
Keep on him, in a good friend sort of way,....maybe he'll come around.

I'll go easy on him as I never have to buy beer. Don't want to ruin that perk. ;)

Reactions: Thistle
All I can say is there is not much better wood to burn than Oak. Yes you do have to season it for 2-3 years but when it's ready, it's sweet.

All I can say is there is not much better wood to burn than Oak. Yes you do have to season it for 2-3 years but when it's ready, it's sweet.

+1

Status
Not open for further replies.