OAK to basement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Marsha Cook

Nov 17, 2013
NH
OK. As noted earlier, I am going to install an OAK but would like your opinions.

I have a 1000 sq ft ranch with an equal sized unfinished basement. It is not heated. The stove is between the kitchen and living room, open concept.

Can I put the OAK vent through the floor to the basement and use "basement" air for the stove? I can go outside from the basement but thought this would avoid ice and condensation.

Am I nuts?

by definition "OAK" stands for "outside" air Kit. pulling air from the basement is simply taking air from another space indoors. I would think since most basements are slightly lower in pressure (below the zero pressure plane in the house) it would not help but could be slightly less effective than drawing from the room the stove is in (im a fan of neither)

is the stove in the middle of the house? not on an outside wall? if so how far to the nearest outside wall? you may be able to go into the basement then run with a larger intake pipe to the exterior wall for air. mine is run this way I have a 2 inch through the floor into the crawlspace then I expanded to a 3 inch for the remaining 8 ft or so

Yes, you're nuts. Just kidding, but seriously, it's a bad idea.

You definitely want to pull the air DIRECTLY from outside, not from outside into your basement. You can go through the floor, into the basement and back outside, but I'd imagine you'd end up with a pretty long run when you consider you'll have to bring it back up past the snow line. Even with larger diameter pipe, you'll still have a lot of elbows and, IMO, it's a bad idea.

Is your stove on an inside wall?

, but I'd imagine you'd end up with a pretty long run when you consider you'll have to bring it back up past the snow line

good point didn't think about that mine is well off the ground but hers may not be.

I agree also about the shortest straightest route being the best case, drawing from the basement IMHO is worst case

Also, I don't see pulling air from the basement having any advantage over pulling it from the room the stove is in.

Unfortunately, the stove is in the middle of the room. Going to try to attach a photo. Thanks for the clear thinkers. Think it will come out above the snow line. Many times I get ideas out of nowhere and need them to be junked.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 123
lovely room.

good point didn't think about that mine is well off the ground but hers may not be.

I agree also about the shortest straightest route being the best case, drawing from the basement IMHO is worst case
Sorry, Mike. Our initial posts were written within a couple minutes of each other. I then made another post without looking if any posts were made above mine. In hindsight, it looks like I parroted your posts, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.