Odd knob Papa Bear

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wildcat

Jan 6, 2015
Kentucky
Fisher.JPG

There were many making replacement draft caps and still are. This is an original E-Z spin (with steel insert nut) patented by Bob's dad.
The idea of the fins was to be able to turn with your foot to prevent burning your hand.

P1010033.JPG
ONE just sold on eBay for $39 - 5 fin newer style with rim - a brand new set of 2 is less than that at Barr Casting in Oregon made from the original mold. They have an on line store now. With or without steel insert, aluminum, brass or bronze.

http://barr.enstore.com/item/3-58-od-aluminum-kit-no-bolts $31.96 a pair with steel thread insert.

There were many making replacement draft caps and still are. This is an original E-Z spin (with steel insert nut) patented by Bob's dad.
The idea of the fins was to be able to turn with your foot to prevent burning your hand.

View attachment 149734
ONE just sold on eBay for $39 - 5 fin newer style with rim - a brand new set of 2 is less than that at Barr Casting in Oregon made from the original mold. They have an on line store now. With or without steel insert, aluminum, brass or bronze.

http://barr.enstore.com/item/3-58-od-aluminum-kit-no-bolts $31.96 a pair with steel thread insert.
Thanks for the info Coaly! Those are some good looking caps that Barr makes. I would rather get one to match the original that I have but understand they no longer produce them without the lip. Maybe someone here has one for sale or is looking for one to match theirs. Do you know of anywhere that sells replacement handle springs? The one original cap that I have is an aluminum 4 fin with no lip and with steel insert. Only markings on inside of the cap are B3 and G. Does this give any clue as to when the stove was made? Thanks in advance!

It's probably '75 to 77.......... unless they had a bunch of old 4 fins to use before the 5 fins came out.

Woodmanspartsplus for the spring; RH-LDN for nickel RH-LDB for brass. 3 1/2 long for 1/2 inch shank.

Here's one marked EZ Spin !

Early Draft Cap.JPG

You're probably going to have to settle for the newer type with lip. At least they still pour the 4 and 5 fin both......... If you call them and ask, they may have what you want. For years you had to call them and they would make the style you wanted in the material you wanted, with or without the insert nut. This was the only picture of caps on their website until they opened the webstore. It was a call as needed basis.

Brass draft knob.jpg Buy 2 and clean your old one up, paint it, then polish the edges. They make good candle holders! Careful, this could be the start of your collection.

Alum. Brushed on L.  Polished on R..JPG Both are aluminum; Brushed on left, Polished on right. That is Stove Bright Satin Black.
I don't sell them since they have pattern numbers 1 - 4 on the back. So a "set" to me is 1,2,3 & 4. People ask how much I want for one..... they just don't understand. I haven't named any yet.................

Thanks again Coaly! I finally got a chance to look at both websites and will be placing my order soon. I will go with alum. 4 fin then paint black and brush edges, like the one you posted pic of. My plans are to get this tough guy cleaned up and ready for paint when warmer weather returns, then use in home or cabin. I purchased this stove about ten years ago without really knowing what I was buying. So glad I did! I have had it stored in a damp barn since though. I used a wire wheel to get the loose rust off, now the plan is steel wool the remaining, then paint. Is it necessary to sand and paint inside the fire box? Thanks again for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.