OEM vs. aftermarket Ignitor - life expectancy

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

md2002

Feeling the Heat
Oct 18, 2011
United States
I haven't had to replace many parts on my Enviro Milan but when I have I've gotten OEM parts. My ignitor died last year at the end of the winter so I'm looking to buy a new one. The OEM is about $150 more than an aftermarket ignitor so I was going to purchase an aftermarket for this particular part. As I was reading reviews on the aftermarket ignitors they don't seem to last more than a couple of year. The ignitor I'm replacing is the original and has lasted 11 years, is this normal life expectancy for an ignitor or did I get incredibly lucky? I'm asking because if the next OEM will also last 11 years it's worth getting the OEM rather than replacing an aftermarket every 2 years.

It's worth noting that I don't use a thermostat so the ignitor is only used once a day for 11 years to light the stove in the morning.

Once a day ignitors should last very long time. That said, in your case i would skip the exspensive OEM and get aftermarket.just stay away from those 30.00 asian knockoffs. I usually pay around 75.00 for ignitors.. burn 24/7 so got about 7 yrs and also got a spare. I skip amazon and get from pellet stove parts web dealers.

The Orignal Enviro igniter is still going strong in my EF 3 it will
start its 21 season. At your prices you could buy 3 aftermarket ones but
what are their life spans and how long are you keeping the stove?

Reactions: SidecarFlip
Thanks for the advice, the ones I'm seeing are the $30 knockoffs on ebay and Amazon. I'll look for pellet stove dealers and take my chances. As I said, the reviews on the Amazon and Ebay ones say they last about 2 years but the original at $180 seems really high.

Thanks for the advice, the ones I'm seeing are the $30 knockoffs on ebay and Amazon. I'll look for pellet stove dealers and take my chances. As I said, the reviews on the Amazon and Ebay ones say they last about 2 years but the original at $180 seems really high.https://pellet-stove-parts-4less.com/

Wow.. went couple web parts dealers that i use and seeing 180.00 for OEM..damn thats exspensive for your model!!!!.. also see 30.00 for aftermarket for same stove.. might end up going for the pricy one but u know it will last many yrs.

Ya, that's what I though. $180 seems a lot for what it is.
looks like the standard going price... I actually went to 3 places that i have bought pellet stove parts from over the yrs and never got a bad electronic part..same price..[MY DAY OFF AND I'M BORED]... I would stick with what has worked for you all these yrs and buy it or, buy half dozen aftermarkets at 30 bucks and keep them close by lol..btw: my Harman ignitor price is about 89.00 for best one.. I also notice that your Milan takes a 400 watt ignitor while my 61K BTU harman takes a 300 watt.. could be why exspensive maybe.???.. pulls more juice and needs better components?..could also be why aftermarket only good for couple yrs...

Last edited:
The Orignal Enviro igniter is still going strong in my EF 3 it will
start its 21 season. At your prices you could buy 3 aftermarket ones but
what are their life spans and how long are you keeping the stove?
How I look at cordless tools, sort of like ignitors.. I could buy the DeWalt or the Milwaukee cordless tools for big bucks, or buy the HF Bauer cordless tools for about 1/3 the price. I buy the Bauer because if they poop out, I can buy 2 more and still be even Steven.

Honestly, I have not had a Bauer cordless tool poop out yet. I'm amazed and I use them pretty hard too.

Having never owned a unit with an ignitor, I guess that would be luxury for me...

Don’t know about all stoves, but on mine an igniter is another name for a cartridge heater. Just looked up the specs and got a couple on Zoro Tools as spares for I think $20 each. Haven’t had to use them yet, as during the dead of winter I only start my stove once every week or two. Might have to crimp a couple ends on it but no big deal.

read all the reviews which pretty much said worked after install..[new buyers]. but no one has had it long enough to comment about longevity which the OP was concerned about... but i guess for the price he can buy a few of them.

Reactions: Washed-Up