off set chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

black smoke signals

Feeling the Heat
Nov 6, 2016
Wyoming Colorado
A distant friend called me to check a chimney in his home center location has two fireplace lower and an upper that share masonry block surrounding two chimney, Home built 1979. Lower chimney he wants an insert.We started out removing (saws all) damper out recent slammer install. We vacuumed the smoke chamber area looking up and saw where the clay liner was 11-11 outside diameter clay liner. Now just a guess its offset aprox 30deg from the center of the stove flue apox 10 feet up to clay liner total height 20 foot. My question is does the insulated liner need a support brackets inside the cavity area from the stove to the clay liner? The chimney is clean no creo I suggested he find a qualified person to install the liner with a video camera to inspect the bricks and install brackets I'm correct? tight area up there inside chimney cavity if your small. We talked to a few stove shops about this none suggest brackets just drop in liner and hook it up.
0976s.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
No support brackets needed at all inside the chimney there is no way you could do it anyway

This chimney is huge on the inside liner would have 2feet on each side just thinking liner would need support

Thank Bholler

Reactions: bholler