offgrid

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Maybe a tiny amount, enough to keep it from smoking up your abode, but not much more. A 3" diameter exhaust pipe even if super hot won't create enough draft to pull anything much. hell, I have a 21 foot vertical rise of 4" and the pull is negligible at best. Won't even extinguish a match held in the bottom of the cleanout tee. You always need the combustion fan to work for you to roast biomass. To think you don't is false, because you do.

Like I said, in a power outage it will (maybe pull the smoke out but not any more) never tested that scenario because I have a diesel standby so when (not if) the power fails, I'm on standby in 45 seconds.
The reason some rise is recommended is more about evacuating co from smouldering pellets than the smoke. But getting rid of the smoke is nice as well

Reactions: SidecarFlip
Don't trust just any yayhoo on Youtube saying "Hey, this works. I didn't die!"
For me at least YT is strictly for entertainment people put the dumbest stuff on there, Like Rumble. Some of the stuff I see on YT and Rumble leads me to believe that there are actually people out there walking around that are that stupid. Not so much on here (there a select few even here) But some of the stuff people put on YT and rumble for the world to see, astounds me. Easy to tell without looking at their DA comments is look at the spelling and grammar.

I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer but I do know how to use spell check on my comments. What you post and how you spell is on public display in any forum today. When I see blatant mis spelled words and poor punctuation, I usually don't bother reading the comment because 99% if the time its BS anyway.

How you disseminate yourself to others speaks volumes of your intelligence level and upbringing.

Last edited:
For me at least YT is strictly for entertainment people put the dumbest stuff on there, Like Rumble. Some of the stuff I see on YT and Rumble leads me to believe that there are actually people out there walking around that are that stupid. Not so much on here (there a select few even here) But some of the stuff people put on YT and rumble for the world to see, astounds me. Easy to tell without looking at their DA comments is look at the spelling and grammar.
Yeah mostly entertainment for me. There is some helpful info as well though.

Yeah mostly entertainment for me. There is some helpful info as well though.
Gotta do some serious mining of comments any more on YT. Lots of just plain misleading stuff on there lately. One thing I do when viewing anything on there or a picture on here is, I look at what is in the background, not the subject. Amazing what a camera records sometimes.

You want to be off grid, and you didn't plan for your heat source? What else did you forget to plan for?

But really, you can run an insulated stove pipe basically through anything and out the roof. You could also run a masonry chimney on a gable end and put your wood stove on the outside wall.