Oh man am I in some deep ----

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
All the EPA stuff, catalytic mufflers etc are to reduce smog ... HC and NOx. But the power reduction causes you to burn more fuel to get the job done thus increasing CO2. Its actually worse for global warming.

Same thing for cars. The first generation of smog controls killed power and MPG.

Maybe we'll see the same thing that happened to autos someday. Today's cars are more fuel efficient, more reliable, and safer than ever. And still plenty fast, without any modification.

I think, unfortunately, that OPE has peaked in terms of power and reliability, in the name of clean air. Along with a lot of other things. In the big picture, it's all good, but I don't know what effect the world's chainsaw fleet has on global warming.
Gotta post my disagreement here. At some point the EPA (which the Canadian counterpart tends to follow) has passed the point of diminishing returns. Performance and reliability have suffered as a result. Don't get me wrong, we have come a long way since the dirty 70's, when we used to drain our oil over the sewer, but please, enough already. Leave our saws alone!

Reactions: Thistle
That feller would get a lot better use out of his saw and firewood if he'd cut bigger chunks.

Gotta post my disagreement here. At some point the EPA (which the Canadian counterpart tends to follow) has passed the point of diminishing returns. Performance and reliability have suffered as a result. Don't get me wrong, we have come a long way since the dirty 70's, when we used to drain our oil over the sewer, but please, enough already. Leave our saws alone!
Hmmm. I don't think we're on the same page, because that's what I'm trying to say :confused:

With all this autotune coming out on these newer epa restricted saws , has me thinking how much are parts gonna cost to replace. Whats different inside these new autotuned saws . Do they have computers on them now ?
Iam with thee old school i'd take a tried and true MS 460.

With all this autotune coming out on these newer epa restricted saws , has me thinking how much are parts gonna cost to replace. Whats different inside these new autotuned saws . Do they have computers on them now ?
Iam with thee old school i'd take a tried and true MS 460.
I think the auto tune kinda cool but I can do that on the fly. Its pretty easy but it is a level most cant figure out. If your a band geek like me its very easy. ;)

Hmmm. I don't think we're on the same page, because that's what I'm trying to say :confused:
My apologies. I think I was a little hungry
snickers_joe_pesci.jpg

Reactions: jeff_t and smokinj
That's what ear plugs/muffs are for lol

Reactions: Realstone
Once its ported there goes the milage. Keep it stock or get a 460. Too much hype on A.S. and there selling port jobs keep that in mind. ;)

460 is 14.6 lbs with 14.6 kw and the 461 is 15.2 lbs and 4.4 kw..........
Lemme guess - slightly heavier, but no more power than the 460?

According to Stihl's Canadian website the 461 is .2 lbs heavier than the 460. 14.8 (CDN MS461) vs. 14.6 (US MS460) lbs. That's squat IMO. Power is dead on the same at 6.0 bhp. If the MS461 brings the same improvements to the table that the 441 did, that means lots of low-down torque, better MPG, better air filtration, and a lot better AV. That's more than enough to warrant a test-drive IMO. >>

Is the r stand for racing?

R versions of the big Stihl saws are "Arctic" setups with heated carburetors and heated full-wrap handles.

Buy one put a few hundred hours on it & report back would ya please, I really am curious. ==c A C

I might do just that AC. Just for you. ;)

According to Stihl's Canadian website the 461 is .2 lbs heavier than the 460. 14.8 (CDN MS461) vs. 14.6 (US MS460) lbs. That's squat IMO. Power is dead on the same at 6.0 bhp. If the MS461 brings the same improvements to the table that the 441 did, that means lots of low-down torque, better MPG, better air filtration, and a lot better AV. That's more than enough to warrant a test-drive IMO. >>

R versions of the big Stihl saws are "Arctic" setups with heated carburetors and heated full-wrap handles.

I might do just that AC. Just for you. ;)

We all love a test drive, but if you want or need a 441 buy one. Same for a 461. ;)

FWIW guys had my hands on a real live MS461 this weekend, unfortunately did not get to fire it up but I'm waiting to see if an Mtronic version gets announced...

Status
Not open for further replies.