Oil Industry know they are in trouble with regard to heating oil

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would say that bio fuels have a chance when governments clear the way for these operation to become a reality.

Over regulation causes these deals to never get started. How tuff is it to get permits for a pellet plant.. then think about the laws and regulations for what is essentially an oil refining operation. Many poeople want the product... just don't make it in my back yard.

I use a bio-blend fuel in my truck whenever I can. Many times it's cheaper (but not always)... I sooner buy an American made bio blend than use imported oil.

when it was avaiable regularly around here
I would get 2-3 mpg more in the Cummins

with that being said
do you want food producers to compete with oil producers????????
imagine what greed would do to the food chain

Year before last at the Heating Expo in Manchester NH, the heating oil rep told up that the bio oil will be coming form over seas, Indonesia I think. When more people find out about that they will still stay away form oil heat. In the mean time solar, pellet and nat gas should get the upper hand.

I know a few folks who tired switching to 100% biodiesel and both gave up after all sorts of issues. The biodiesel works like a solvent and cleans all the accumulated gunk out the fuel tank and fuel lines, repeatedly clogging the fuel filters. Then once everything is cleared out, biodiesel can form deposits on the burner tips leading to more service calls. My friend who tried it one season had to talk his wife (with two toddlers underfoot) through opening up the burner and replacing a nozzle twice while he was out of town. After a season of that, he started burning a lot of wood and uses the oil boiler as a standby on regular fuel. The B-10 product (10% biodiesel seems to be easier to use but there have been reports that it too can disolve old deposits and cause frequent fuel clogs.

Another issue on older boilers is that the pump seals are not compatable.

peakbagger said:
I know a few folks who tired switching to 100% biodiesel and both gave up after all sorts of issues. The biodiesel works like a solvent and cleans all the accumulated gunk out the fuel tank and fuel lines, repeatedly clogging the fuel filters. Then once everything is cleared out, biodiesel can form deposits on the burner tips leading to more service calls. My friend who tried it one season had to talk his wife (with two toddlers underfoot) through opening up the burner and replacing a nozzle twice while he was out of town. After a season of that, he started burning a lot of wood and uses the oil boiler as a standby on regular fuel. The B-10 product (10% biodiesel seems to be easier to use but there have been reports that it too can disolve old deposits and cause frequent fuel clogs.

Another issue on oler boilers is that the pump seals are not compatable.

Heating oil pump gaskets are normally made of cork. I am not surprised that they disintegrate from bio oil.

It also sounds like an additive is needed, mabye try Marvell Mystery Oil, it has a high content of detergents or diesel fuel treatment. It might help with the nozzle clogging. The other thing could be that cold temps in the basement cause the bio oil to gel up. Again a diesel fuel treatment might help.

Status
Not open for further replies.