Oil Lanterns

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I attempted to make it work. A piece of bent coat hanger was involved. The mantle is not quite the same size/shape. Next time a mantle craps out, I'll try it.

I burned an ordinary glass wick table lamp yesterday. It had Lamplight Medallian lamp oil sitting in it for years. It's a clear kerosene oil for lamps. It was a little stinky. Any opinions on how to make it less stinky? Could it be the storage time, or is it the nature of the beast.

On another note, I just received a Liminiser thermoelectric lantern. It uses a the heat from a small wicked oil plastic bottle to light up some leds. It's way cool! The canisters are not refillable, so I'll look around for a syringe or something to refill it. The liquid had turned to wax when I opened the package. It was 23F out in the package bin. This leads me to think it's liquified paraffin was. It smells like a burning candle as well. More pleasant than the other stuff. I wonder if I can use that stuff in the kero lamps?

Luminiser

IMG_20211220_125216706_LL.jpg

I am surprised no mention of Petromax Lanterns, their collectors are rabid about them and they go for big bucks. Shined up and lacquered they are beautiful.

I didn't know liquid fuel lamps could use a mantle, I assumed that was a propane lantern thing.
The Aladdin with mantel is the brightest, quietest lamp made. And not cheap. It is my brightest indoor lamp. Same as a 60 watt light bulb on clear kero.

D5943BDF-A4CA-43CC-B436-940803A6480C.jpeg
My collection is mostly RR lanterns, some barn, some indoor, some outdoor, brightest like a flood light being the Petromax.

image.jpg
These are big lamps 20 inches tall. Total including table lamps I have over 100.

That little thermoelectric lantern burned nice. I had it on for another couple of hours.

The other identical, (other than it's a 23A burner where the new one is a MaxBrite), Aladdin aluminum shelf lamp is burning now.

Is it my imagination, or does the Aladdin burn cleaner than a conventional wick lamp? I'm burning the same LampLight Medallion fuel in both, both having been in there the same number of years (5?), and the Aladdin seems to be putting out a lot less odor.

The Aladdin wick situation is a real downer.

IMG_20211220_202339442_LL.jpg

I have a new Coleman kerosene 639c coming in the mail on Thursday. It should be par with the Petromax' brightness. Not as flashy, for sure.

The Aladdin with mantel is the brightest, quietest lamp made. And not cheap. It is my brightest indoor lamp. Same as a 60 watt light bulb on clear kero.

View attachment 288107
My collection is mostly RR lanterns, some barn, some indoor, some outdoor, brightest like a flood light being the Petromax.

View attachment 288108
These are big lamps 20 inches tall. Total including table lamps I have over 100.
Hi I have a RR Colman lantern.Any places to get re-popped lenses with the RR insignia on them?
Mine is a CP Rail.
Thanks

The syringe came in today and I refilled a Luminiser oil candle cartridge. Worked great. Used what it came with-paraffin (liquid candle wax) The tips are 19 gauge, 1.5" length. Syringe is 10 cc.

I just got an Aladdin Genie 3. I put my contraption with the bent hanger and the Coleman Kero-Lite mantle. It works pretty well. Not perfect. Not totally even, but still puts out a lot of light, and you can get that with the original. Next time an original mantle craps out, I'll try to hang one on that.

The Colemans are 20 vs. approx 50 bucks for the Aladdin on eBay.

IMG_20220108_211540221.jpg