Oil Prices Now

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Jan, my concern is that these high fuel prices will hurt the working poor the hardest. When you are spending50% of what you make to get to work it will create a very serious situation; prices going up, take home pay going down.
I agree. I might be in a fortunate situation as I work from home and don't drive that much. But still, with our US gas prices compared to the rest of the world, I think we do not have a reason to complain that much.

and i hope it stays that way
Hongkong has the highest gasoline price in the world. Next is the Netherlands. There, gasoline is 2.34 Euro/2.54 Dollars per liter which is $9.60 per gallon. The US still has a very low gasoline price compared to most western industrial countries.

Reactions: Jan Pijpelink
This is the current cheapest heating oil in each state per the popular cashheatingoil.com website.

TODAY'S ( 03/09/22 ) UPDATED HEATING OIL PRICES.​

Lowest heating oil prices in CT - Connecticut $ 5.07 gal.
Lowest heating oil prices in MD - Maryland $ 4.99 gal.
Lowest heating oil prices in MA - Massachusetts $ 4.99 gal.
Lowest heating oil prices in NJ - New Jersey $ 4.97 gal.
Lowest heating oil prices in PA - Pennsylvania $ 4.88 gal.
Lowest heating oil prices in RI - Rhode Island $ 4.99 gal

Last summer I was paying
I agree. I might be in a fortunate situation as I work from home and don't drive that much. But still, with our US gas prices compared to the rest of the world, I think we do not have a reason to complain that much.

To give a little different perspective here, expect service companies to raise their prices significantly.

So, my busy season is April through October. Last year I ran 7 trucks during those months. I spent around $4k in gas each month during those months. We drive a lot of miles. We saw these cost increases coming and decreased service area which should make a big difference in usage. It's entirely possible that even with these changes I could be paying 7 or 8 thousand dollar gas bills this summer.

Now let's talk about labor costs. They've gone up. A good number of our people increased their skills, took classes, increased licensing, etc. They'll be making more.

Supplies, many have more than doubled in cost. Expect companies to hold more inventory too since we can't rely on supply chains any more.

It's great that some people don't have to drive much, but you can't escape this. Your groceries are costing significantly more. Inflation is a Jimmy kick for everybody.

I sure do appreciate all you guys claiming to drive like grandma, in little 1.3 liter displacement cars, and saving all the gas for me! I will respectfully and courteously pass grandma, every time I come up behind her on a country road... sorry if the loud exhaust startled you. I get no pleasure from burning oil as a needless act, but I do get pleasure from more spirited driving, even if it means using a bit more of that precious commodity.

But more on-topic, I feel like I'm living in the Twilight Zone, watching our national debate over banning the import of Russian oil. Forgive me if I have my facts mixed up, but isn't the US presently purchasing less than 5% of Putin's oil? Does Russian oil make up more than 8% of our imports? How will the US of A placing a ban on Putin's oil hurt him or his supporters one bit, when their primary (European) customers are vastly increasing their usage through deployment of the NATO war machine? I really don't get it... maybe someone here can lay it out a bit simpler for me?

... and don't go talking vaguely about global markets, unless you're tying it to a true NATO (not US-only) ban on Russian oil. Simply put, until Europe or Asia bans the import of Russian oil, it would appear to this armchair economist that there is very little impact on global oil supply and demand.

Where we will get hit is for lawn and field mowing.
Like you, I am putting far more gas into mowers and tractors, than I ever use in my small fleet of road vehicles. Moreover, with the exception of one new tractor, they all lack any sort of emissions control. It feels terrible, but I've done the math on it, and thankfully we are not the norm.

If you assume it takes about 1 gallon of gas to mow 1 acre of lawn, as that's pretty close to what I average on my own lawn, it would take us roughly 40 million gallons of gas to mow the combined ~40 million acres of lawn in this country. If we also assume an average 30 mowings per year, that's 1.2 billion gallons of gasoline, or approximately 1% of our national usage of that sweet juice.

I do wish there were more aggressive standards for emissions control on OPE, particularly our obnoxious and ubiquitous 60-inch zero turns running loud and thirsty 25 hp v-twins. My tractor has Tier 4 compliant emissions equipment, and while everyone screamed about the sky falling when the requirements rolled out, it has turned out to be a great feature. I no longer stink of diesel after running the tractor, the exhaust smells like unicorn farts and butterflies. But, given the low numbers I presented above, even if not very accurate, I can understand why they've been a lower priority.

Reactions: EbS-P and woodey
I used to travel a lot in Europe, and while it was several years ago and very Germany-centric, my memory is that their high gas prices were almost entirely self-inflicted. It is not that their product had a much higher cost, but that they chose to willingly attach taxes to it, which were many multiples higher than our own.

The end result to the consumer is the same, I understand. But given we're comparing one democratic entity to another, we shouldn't really feel much sorrow for the position in which they have chosen to place themselves, based on differing political ideologies. Full retirement at age 60, very nicely and fully-paid by the government, does sometimes come with some additional cost at the pump. There are likely many here, who would be happy to make the same trade.

Reactions: stoveliker
I sure do appreciate all you guys claiming to drive like grandma, in little 1.3 liter displacement cars, and saving all the gas for me! I will respectfully and courteously pass grandma, every time I come up behind her on a country road... sorry if the loud exhaust startled you. I get no pleasure from burning oil as a needless act, but I do get pleasure from more spirited driving, even if it means using a bit more of that precious commodity
Well stated. I recently traded my old pickup for a new one so that I could get one with the engine I wanted while they are still in production.( 400HP Hemi).

I used to travel a lot in Europe, and while it was several years ago and very Germany-centric, my memory is that their high gas prices were almost entirely self-inflicted. It is not that their product had a much higher cost, but that they chose to willingly attach taxes to it, which were many multiples higher than our own.

The end result to the consumer is the same, I understand. But given we're comparing one democratic entity to another, we shouldn't really feel much sorrow for the position in which they have chosen to place themselves, based on differing political ideologies. Full retirement at age 60, very nicely and fully-paid by the government, does sometimes come with some additional cost at the pump. There are likely many here, who would be happy to make the same trade.
full retirement age in NL is 67. Not 60.

I sure do appreciate all you guys claiming to drive like grandma, in little 1.3 liter displacement cars, and saving all the gas for me! I will respectfully and courteously pass grandma, every time I come up behind her on a country road... sorry if the loud exhaust startled you. I get no pleasure from burning oil as a needless act, but I do get pleasure from more spirited driving, even if it means using a bit more of that precious commodity.
Well, my motorcycle (that I had, and I hope will have again) takes care of the needed loudness. The stickshift 1.3 L is a small engine indeed, but it needs to carry only little weight. When I bought it it was marketed with "zoom zoom". And it can do some spirited driving. It's just me that's the old fart.

Reactions: woodey
full retirement age in NL is 67. Not 60.
Yes, you are correct. My comment on that particular point came from having spent the last 3 years working for a French man, now age 59. He reminded me routinely that full retirement age in France is 60.

So, yes, NL may be higher, but it's GDP makes only 4% of the Euro economy. France is presently around 12.5% of Euro GDP, by comparison.

Reactions: stoveliker
While we see gas prices every day, transportation doesn’t use all the hydrocarbons. Plastics fertilizer ect. The price increases are going to be felt in many areas. Food prices are going to keep going up. Anyone looked at the price of wheat and soybeans? On the farm we burned 10,000 gallons of off road diesel in 3-4 weeks around summer harvest. Tracotor 300+ gallons a day. Combines 250 each. Fertilizer if you can find it is really high.

Reactions: Ashful
While we see gas prices every day, transportation doesn’t use all the hydrocarbons. Plastics fertilizer ect. The price increases are going to be felt in many areas. Food prices are going to keep going up. Anyone looked at the price of wheat and soybeans? On the farm we burned 10,000 gallons of off road diesel in 3-4 weeks around summer harvest. Tracotor 300+ gallons a day. Combines 250 each. Fertilizer if you can find it is really high.

That has a compounding effect, many farmers in the area are decreasing inputs for the coming season, fertilizer costs are simply too high to apply for maximum yields. Many are aiming for about 25% less yield than maximum because their cost/bushel is optimized at that yield this year. So not only are grain prices way up, this year's harvest is already going to be below average, before we've even introduced whatever weather events will happen this year.

Reactions: Ashful and EbS-P
I’ve been thinking about how hard this is going to hit the farmers as my brother in-law owns a large dairy farm just down the road from me. Field work is to begin soon here. Last year they planted 1,300 acres of corn among other feed. With the soaring price of fuel, fertilizer and seed the milk check will be stretched thin.

Reactions: thewoodlands
The government has little to do with the cost of gasoline. Oil companies are privately owned. The cost of oil goes up and down according to supply and demand. There are a lot of dependencies and issues like the disruptions to crude oil supplies, refinery operations, or pipeline problems, and what the market (airlines) think the demand will be in the future. In 2020-2021 there was the pandemic and economic recession which greatly reduced demand for oil so prices were very low. The producers reduced production, and they have not yet fully ramped it up again.

Meanwhile, during the past year, the major oil companies made soaring profits, bought back a boatload of shares, and gave their CEOs billions in bonuses. But heaven forbid that they make less money to help the average American.

Saudi Arabia and the U.A.E. are ignoring calls from Biden about increased purchases of crude.

I
That has a compounding effect, many farmers in the area are decreasing inputs for the coming season, fertilizer costs are simply too high to apply for maximum yields. Many are aiming for about 25% less yield than maximum because their cost/bushel is optimized at that yield this year. So not only are grain prices way up, this year's harvest is already going to be below average, before we've even introduced whatever weather events will happen this year.

Have to figure The Breadbasket of Europe (Ukraine) will also have a reduced if not completely lost harvest. Even if this ends tomorrow, there's no way to replace lost equipment. I have the feeling that ever resourceful farmers will be pulling equipment with military surplus for years though. Just because the military value is destroyed, it can still pull wagons, manure spreaders, etc.

Reactions: ABMax24 and Ashful
IHave to figure The Breadbasket of Europe (Ukraine) will also have a reduced if not completely lost harvest. Even if this ends tomorrow, there's no way to replace lost equipment. I have the feeling that ever resourceful farmers will be pulling equipment with military surplus for years though. Just because the military value is destroyed, it can still pull wagons, manure spreaders, etc.
And this will have major consequences. Egypt, for one, is very dependent on Russia and Ukraine for wheat and sunflower oil. Egypt has about 4 months of wheat reserves but will likely face severe problems later this year.

They depend on Russia and Ukraine. What happens to make up this deficit may largely depend on the state of the world as their reserves dwindle and the weather that crops face around the world.

I imagine they'll be looking everywhere. I'm sure that Russian crops will be fine, but can they grow enough to make up for Ukraine? Probably not. That shortage will certainly be borne in part by USA and Canadian growers. I suppose an issue is Russia is the largest exporter of fertilizer. It looks like they exported 7 billion dollars of it in 2020.

A possible outcome is farmers here, if they have the equipment to allow a switch, may grow wheat instead of corn. This will affect our whiskey supplies, oh and that ethanol crap too.

Reactions: woodgeek and Ashful
A possible outcome is farmers here, if they have the equipment to allow a switch, may grow wheat instead of corn. This will affect our whiskey supplies, oh and that ethanol crap too.
Wheat acres in the US have been dwindling for years in favor of corn and beans. One thing about wheat - it can tolerate dryer conditions and requires far less inputs than corn. There would need to be a motive (price) as always and a ready market. Hmm, wheat prices are up.

Reactions: vinny11950
Over half (50-605%) the wheat the us produces is winter wheat and planted around September. Maybe more acreage gets spring wheat but not enough to move markets a great deal in the next 9 months. Soybeans will be attractive may we even more so than wheat for certain regions. Would not be surprised if the ethanol subsidies/requirements are reduced or phased out. Might sound silly but food might win over fuel. Haven’t heard much about Brazil or Argentina crops or acreage. It all will matter.

Wouldn't Brazil and Argentina already be planted? I'd think it'd be hard for them to change crops by now.

Status
Not open for further replies.