Oil/Wood Boiler upgrade options

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I would also then reduce my oil cut-in. Maybe to the 150 range. If the diff is then set to 30 so cut out is 180, that should give lots of hot water to your baseboards. (Assuming baseboards?). Or 155 with 25 diff. 160 water vs. 180 water in the rads will just lead to the water circulating longer - should still heat your home. Might struggle recovering but should do the job. Unless your baseboard is undersized. Doing all that should cut your wood & oil consumption.

My father has an older Kerr that has tubes - I'm pretty sure it would benefit from storage. Biasi has decent heat exchange, I think. Not sure of others - but tubes or multi pass heat exchanging (while being easy to clean) are key, and should be able to utilize storage.

Well its definitely something i can experiment with....costs nothing.