OK lets settle this!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Leaves are much easier to identify. Do you have any from the tree or its like neighbors?

I am going to go against most, and say thats NOT ASH! Grain isn't right ot be ash, neither is the bark!

Need a leaf to be for sure, but I will put a beat down that, that is NOT ash!

Wow there is nothing sacred on this form..we will grind everything (wood) and everyone (Skinnykid) up into fine saw dust.....I am so glad I found this site! This place is great!!!

I have some fire wood that I believe is Ash, some say it splits easy. Mine is like hitting cement with a maul.

000_0296.jpg

000_0295.jpg

Two wedges and a sledge hammer / smackin' side of a maul.....or a splitter. Your call (and for what it's worth...when I used to split by hand I ALWAYS looked at a wood score as 1) how much wood is there and 2) what's the groan factor in breaking it up. Now, using a splitter, it's just a question of how much wood there is and I hope there is some snotty stuff so my splitter earns it's keep. ;-P

Oh, yep, looks like ash to me. Heavy shite aint it?. Good stuff.

That doesn't look like white ash to me, and I've spent a lot of time looking for it for bow making. (ya, ya- cruising for ash)

Are you sure it's not pignut hickory? That would explain the splitting (or not) as well as that bark. It has similar compound leaves to ash.

Looks like it's been cut a while too. It the bark sort of hard?

I wonder if that's Locust. My wife and I cut a lot of Locust last year. It's one of the highest BTU woods in our area. It splits pretty well when it's green, but if dries out it's a lot harder to split. When I cut our 4+ foot lengths down to shorter rounds I always started splitting on the greener end. If I started splitting on the dry end the maul would sometimes just bounce right off.

Good luck.

Big locust- both black and honey locust, have much more furrowed bark. The branches have nasty thorns. The heartwood of black locust (more common in our area) takes up most of the volume annd is much darker than what was shown.

As far as making fine powder that is a different forum i think they call those pellets :)
As far as the Blackhawks go love mine too both of them 45lc 4 5/8" stainless and 44 mag 5.5" stainless.
mostly loaded with trail-boss and 240 gr semi wadcutters.

Adios Pantalones said:
I should just drive over to your house tomorrow morning and we'll figure it out

Your more than welcomed to!

All right, I'll throw this in the ring, Howz about Norway Maple. I have a hard time telling it from ash by just the bark and cut end. When you split it though it would have the distinctive cross graining of maple where ash has a distinct long grain lengthwise grain like you see in baseball bats, or ax handles.

I swear that bark and heart wood looks just like every big tulip poplar on this place. And if it is still green a maul bouncing off of it fits the description too.

As soon as I saw the green in that picture I knew it was poplar. I have some in my backyard I am trying to split and my maul is just bouncing off of it, then again so is the oak I'm trying to split Anyway, poplar has a distinctive scent almost like a popcorn smell to it. By looking at the bark and the last picture I'd bet the farm on poplar.

Looks like ti to me. Who was the first to guess poplar? You win the prize!!!!

And the winner by ten minutes is....

ROCKY!!!!!!

Rocky you won a "I guessed the tree species and all I got was this crappy T-shirt" T-shirt!

Please tell me your size and I will get it right out to you!

Thanks for playing everyone.
clap.gif

usa2.gif

cheers01.gif

Ack! Ack Ack! I was really hoping I'd never ever see another one. My little 1/2-acre property in Northern Virginia was littered with those trees (and a few oaks, maples, and chestnuts)...most 80'-100' feet tall, and way too big to get both arms around. Not the trees themselves I hated, so much, I like trees in general, but those damnable little helicopter seed pods that came off those trees by the zillions, with their evil little sharp barbs on the ends, getting into every little crevice of a vehicle parked outside and everywhere else conceivable (not to mention what they feel like in bare feet!). I'm quite sure I'm still carrying a good number of them with me, in my Jeep & my wife's car. I don't miss those trees, or the tons of leaves they shed every fall. I never took one down, and don't recall ever burning any. Dunno if it makes for good burning wood or not. If it does, that's gotta be easier than living with them. Burn that wood, skinny, burn it! Rick

What you mean Rocky wins the T-shirt. I doth protest! >:-(

Whaddya gonna do, skinny? BB was the first to suggest Poplar. Rockey came in with the "Rockey-Science" verification. If it were me, I'd send each of them half a T-shirt. Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.