Ok. Name this tune. It never ends with this stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

GrumpyDad

Minister of Fire
Feb 23, 2022
Champion, PA
Any idea what these sounds are. I put a bit more smaller pieces than I would for my load after kindling and got it going fairly strong, but I didn't see a ton of flames like the entire box full. Then I started to hear these sounds and smell plastic burning. The smell reminds me of the time I had a creosote burn off. The flue pipes are way to hot to touch for more than a second.
If I back down the flames I stop hearing this. If I open it up I hear it again. Never heard this before.
Stt I will guess is at 500 but to feel the flue area is more important and I no longer have my borrow temp monitors to tell.
My stt from Midwest is inaccurate based on my probe readings from previously borrowed equipment this my guess. It says 550 but it could be off 50 either way

Attachments

• PXL_20221217_035818895~2.mp4
    17.2 MB
50 +,- means very little. Pick a point on the gauge that you want to get to each reload before shutting the air down. Rinse and repeat.

The speed of stink, or the temperature of it. I smoked the house pretty good when I got my new stove pipe a little hot. I had also painted the adapters and flue collar. New pipes will stink when you get them hot. Now noise in the pipe isn't good.
You've had all kinds of problems, have you or anyone else looked inside your chimney/stovepipe? Might be a good idea and cheap insurance.

Sounds to me like it the pipe heating up w/ the by-pass in the open position

Sounds to me like it the pipe heating up w/ the by-pass in the open position
yea I normally dont start up like that honestly but it was cold and I had something I had to do and did want to babysit. Normally I get a coal bed going over the course of a couple of hours. This is my first year with this stove and this pipe. I forgot to remove ONE sticker that I eventually did remove painfully after I had another occurrence whereas I smelled what smelled like electrical wire burning.
The stove was roaring pretty good but it wasnt like the entire firebox was full of flames (which is what I envisioned I would be getting with a wood stove...wow was I wrong).
Normally I put only a few small pieces in for the burn after the kindling and turn it down. I added a bit more and had it turned up. When I turn the air down, the noise stops. An inspection of the flue pipe with snack camera prior to this burn only showed fine gray stuff sitting over some rougher darker stuff, but a very thin amount.
Stove has been running fine since this, I just dont understand that noise near the flue collar (and maybe the smell is another sticker somewhere...)