Ok, so I should.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

buckeye

Apr 4, 2007
I have a hearthstone heritage. The most efficient way to burn is this: Start a new fire and get it burning well, stove temp about 350-400, crank the air control all the way down so the flames appear to dance over the wood. Then as it burns down and I add wood, do I turn the air back up all the way even if the stove is still at 350 or 400 or just add wood and let it do what it does?
I thought I had a method, but the more I read on here the more I seem to get confused. Im learning a little more everyday, but Im just trying to get some ideas.

buckeye said:
I have a hearthstone heritage. The most efficient way to burn is this: Start a new fire and get it burning well, stove temp about 350-400, crank the air control all the way down so the flames appear to dance over the wood. Then as it burns down and I add wood, do I turn the air back up all the way even if the stove is still at 350 or 400 or just add wood and let it do what it does?
I thought I had a method, but the more I read on here the more I seem to get confused. Im learning a little more everyday, but Im just trying to get some ideas.

You are almost correct, instead of cranking all the way down, go down half way. The manual suggests that. It also states that the most efficient way to burn is to use small pieces of wood with the vent all the way open, however this is not the best way to go about it. Half way down once the stove reaches temp. I try to keep my stove vent open once the fire is going full force until it reaches about 400. Once there, I turn the vent down half way, or slightly more and let the burn cycle take its course. I only add wood when there is a few coals left; it is completely a waste of wood to keep piling wood on every hour to keep a fire going. Try it both ways one day, you can go through 20 pieces of wood feeding the monster all day, and about 5-8 pieces using the other way. It's easier and more efficient. Thanks to my wife on that one. I was feeding the beast because I like playing with the fire, but I was plain fooling around. She can use half the wood I use and the house stay warm, so, that is the way we do it for now on.

The soapstone stays hot for an unbelievable amount of time. I don't know how accurate the company claim is but they say it is one of the most efficient stoves on the market, so small splits, and longer burn cycles will serve you wonderfully, otherwise you will turn your house into a kiln.

I really do not like going above 400 either, not so much for the stoves sake, but it's too hot in the house. And after a few years of doing what I am doing, the chimney sweep came out and didn't find anything wrong, creosote buildup, excess soot, nothing.

So good burning to you

I would let it burn with the air open a bit just to get it going well, five to ten minutes would be plenty, shorter if you have a really hot coal bed, longer if the coals have died down a bit. With the soapstone, the temp reading isn't as well correlated to the firebox temp as with a steel or cast iron stove since the soapstone reacts far more slowly to internal temp. The confusion diminishes over time as you use the stove then slowly starts to return as aging takes over %-P

I like what you guys are doing I tend to "feed the Beast" and it's not necessary. The only thing I would add is to let it burn all out for 15 minutes a day just to keep the pipes clean. At least that's what my manual says.. Quadra Fire - Cumberland Gap.

Status
Not open for further replies.