OK so will this thing ever stop stinking

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottF

Hearth Supporter
Aug 7, 2008
Southern NH
The restored 110 year old smoke dragon has now been burning for over 12 hours and performing very nicely. Lots of heat, eats wood and controlled only by the flue damper (somewhat). All perfectly and just as expected. We are very happy with the performance.

However, the darn thing still smells like a fire in a chemical factory every time it burns. We did the break in fires where it was so engulfed in smoke coming off the paint you couldn't see the stove. That subsided and it doesn't visibly smoke anymore but it still stinks. We have had all the windows open for 3 days now.

It received two coats of Rustoleum high heat stove paint when refurbished. I have burned it hot and up to 650 degrees for a period of time and it has been run 3 different days since the breaking for up to 4 hours each time. When we lit it this morning guess what it still stinks.

I learned from this forum that wood stoves can make you popular with the chicks because they dig them. Well they are not digging this chemical fire. Its ruining my reputation. So anyone have any experiences like this. Will the smell ever go away or are we stuck with this stink forever. It gives the whole family a bad headache going on 3 days now.

I think that factory stoves might get a heat treatment to set the paint. They might have gone easier than you did as well, and use a different paint. Every new high temp that you reach- you'll get some smell. It'll take longer to burn off your paint than a new factory paint job.

Pick a warmish day (today is quite nice) open all the windows, fire it way up, and maybe use a fan too.

Pick a warmish day (today is quite nice) open all the windows, fire it way up, and maybe use a fan too.

Thanks AP, She is running now with all the windows open the the whole house fan on sucking air big time. I have had it so hot that the flue pipe behind the stove had turned glowing red. It still seems to stink at the lower temperatures. Just wondering if this could be an endless thing.

The smell is from "something". That "something" will eventually go away. Just how long...

Kind of like heating up a candle in a candle warmer. After awhile, all of the sent is released from the wax.

The smell is from “something”. That “something” will eventually go away. Just how long…

Kind of like heating up a candle in a candle warmer. After awhile, all of the sent is released from the wax.

OK, That's a good point and very logical. That kind of what I thought but after this many hours I had hoped it would be gone and still not so strong. Maybe I just need to hear it from somebody smarter than me to reinforce what I already know.

Too bad that they don't put " Odour de bayberry mountain fresh spring" fragrance in that paint like they do in candles instead of "stench de burning chemical factory". In that case I would be a hero instead of the evil chemical bomb guy poisoning his family. My favorability rating is falling faster than George Bush's with this one.

Thanks for your post.

ScottF said:
The restored 110 year old smoke dragon has now been burning for over 12 hours and performing very nicely. Lots of heat, eats wood and controlled only by the flue damper (somewhat). All perfectly and just as expected. We are very happy with the performance.

However, the darn thing still smells like a fire in a chemical factory every time it burns. We did the break in fires where it was so engulfed in smoke coming off the paint you couldn't see the stove. That subsided and it doesn't visibly smoke anymore but it still stinks. We have had all the windows open for 3 days now.

It received two coats of Rustoleum high heat stove paint when refurbished. I have burned it hot and up to 650 degrees for a period of time and it has been run 3 different days since the breaking for up to 4 hours each time. When we lit it this morning guess what it still stinks.

I learned from this forum that wood stoves can make you popular with the chicks because they dig them. Well they are not digging this chemical fire. Its ruining my reputation. So anyone have any experiences like this. Will the smell ever go away or are we stuck with this stink forever. It gives the whole family a bad headache going on 3 days now.

For new stoves, I bet they bake the paint on, which is the case with enamal

ScottF said:

For new stoves, I bet they bake the paint on, which is the case with enamal

It’s like a squeak in your car. Eventually- whatever is squeaking will wear off and stop squeaking… so I just let it ride.

Exactly!!! Me too. Sometime those darn break wear indicators can go for a long time before they stop making that funny noise. But if I just keep ignoring them and driving long enough it eventually goes away. Good point I will just keep burning and burning until it stops.

ScottF said:
It’s like a squeak in your car. Eventually- whatever is squeaking will wear off and stop squeaking… so I just let it ride.

Exactly!!! Me too. Sometime those darn break wear indicators can go for a long time before they stop making that funny noise. But if I just keep ignoring them and driving long enough it eventually goes away. Good point I will just keep burning and burning until it stops.

Which brings up the issue that if you are running hot enough for things to be glowing red... maybe you are exceeding the temperature rating of the paint, and what is going on is possibly more dire than just the paint "curing" (remaining solvents being driven out)?

Just speculating of course, but that sounds like more smoke than I've experienced when I've repainted old stoves. Do you have access to an infrared thermometer that would tell you what temperatures the paint's actually experiencing?

Eddy

Which brings up the issue that if you are running hot enough for things to be glowing red… maybe you are exceeding the temperature rating of the paint, and what is going on is possibly more dire than just the paint “curing” (remaining solvents being driven out)?

Just speculating of course, but that sounds like more smoke than I’ve experienced when I’ve repainted old stoves. Do you have access to an infrared thermometer that would tell you what temperatures the paint’s actually experiencing?

I dont have one but I will borrow one to see what temp I am actually at. I only got one small section of the stove pipe red for just a few seconds. I never did get any part of the stove red at any point. As soon as I saw the area around the flue pipe damper rod get a little red I closed it down and stopped it.

I was actually only kidding about the wear indicators and I think AP was too. You have to admit the part about squeaks stopping because they wear out was kind of funny.

I do agree that this seems like more stank and smoke than a repainted old stove should expel. I might have to paint up another old stove to keep me warm in the dog house soon. Old rover will have to move over . He doesnt mind awful smells as much as the family does as we often catch him with his nose stuck in other dogs butts.

Eddy- maybe he shouldn’t have put the paint on with a rollah brush?

Unfortuantly the old rollah wouldnt work and just jammed up. The paint was really old, thick and congealed so I had to put most of it on with a plastering trowel. I did scrape the sludge off the surface with the edge of the putty knife. Something I learned from Norm on this old house.

ScottF said:
Which brings up the issue that if you are running hot enough for things to be glowing red… maybe you are exceeding the temperature rating of the paint, and what is going on is possibly more dire than just the paint “curing” (remaining solvents being driven out)?

Just speculating of course, but that sounds like more smoke than I’ve experienced when I’ve repainted old stoves. Do you have access to an infrared thermometer that would tell you what temperatures the paint’s actually experiencing?

I dont have one but I will borrow one to see what temp I am actually at. I only got one small section of the stove pipe red for just a few seconds. I never did get any part of the stove red at any point. As soon as I saw the area around the flue pipe damper rod get a little red I closed it down and stopped it.

I do agree that this seems like more stank and smoke than a repainted old stove should expel.

That is my thought too. Parts of the stove may be reading 650, but this is a large stove. If other parts are only 400 or less, that area's paint may still be "baking".

That is my thought too. Parts of the stove may be reading 650, but this is a large stove. If other parts are only 400 or less, that area’s paint may still be “baking”.

AHHHHH BG, I think you have hit the nail on the head. That is the solution to the mystery that I have been looking for. I knew there was somebody here much smarter than me. It is a tall stove at 5 feet high. The bottom (stand) of the stove is cold to cool while the stove is running. As you go up the stove the parts get warmer and warmer until you reach the top which is where I have my thermometer located. (the hottest location) We have only burned in 4 hour increments so the lower parts are probably still baking over time. Now that you say that I remember the paint goes from semigloss on the bottom and becomes flatter and flatter in sheen as it goes up to the top. The paint becomes flatter in sheen as it bakes more.

Thank you so much . At least now I know why this continues to happen over time. Like others said above, eventually it will run out of stink. Thanks for the answer to my mystery. Now I know why you are the moderator.

Wow. I've read this post all day as it developed - an excellent example of a semi-random group of friendly people from all over the place coming together on the web to help answer someone's question. Pretty cool I think.

That does present a dilemma, it's going to be hard to get the lower section hot. You may not love my solution. Run the stove upside down for a day or two. :bug:

If you get yourself one of those little round b-b-q grills that stands on 3 legs & is about 10" high or so, fill that baby up with charcoal, slide it under the stove (might have to shorten the legs), and light that little sucker up, you'll cure your stove paint in no time. (Have an extinguisher handy if you actually decide to try this). This is how I got my old Datsun pickup to start during the dead of Idaho winters back in the early '70's (no kidding). Rick

That does present a dilemma, it’s going to be hard to get the lower section hot. You may not love my solution. Run the stove upside down for a day or two.

Now that might be kind of difficult seeing that it goes from wide at the bottom to a point at the top. How would I get it to balance on the pointy part. Maybe I could just stand on my head while lighting the stove. Once enough blood rushes to my head the smell will be gone.

J-Man said:
Wow. I've read this post all day as it developed - an excellent example of a semi-random group of friendly people from all over the place coming together on the web to help answer someone's question. Pretty cool I think.

I LOVE the way that this site seems to attract and promote exactly that dynamic; I usually hang over at the Boiler Room and find the same there.

It's like the hive mind of friendly invention and creative, constructive problem solving.

If only the same phenomena existed more widely on a wider range of issues!

ScottF said:
I learned from this forum that wood stoves can make you popular with the chicks because they dig them. Well they are not digging this chemical fire. Its ruining my reputation.

you just need to find the right chicks, who dig this particular phenomenon

&/ or

hope that the fumes eventually put you all in some sort of blissful stupor together, without toxifying anyone too much along the way :)

I have been known to stand sections of black stovepipe on my propane camp stove -- sitting on a table in the yard -- to get the paint cured before installing them inside the house.

Not that *I* mind the smell, it reminds me of a newly painted cylinder head the first few times you stand on the gas pedal (fun times!)... but doing the curing outside definitely wins points on the diplomatic front.

Any chance you can tote that beauty back outside and do some high-temperature work there? Lots of creative ways to warm up the whole body of the stove, I imagine...

Eddy

Any chance you can tote that beauty back outside and do some high-temperature work there? Lots of creative ways to warm up the whole body of the stove, I imagine…

Eddy

Eddy, It would not be easy to unhook it and haul it out there but it is possible if the smell continues. After I get it out there how would I get the lower sections up to temperatures that it would experience in a burning environment without charring the outside? Contrary to my prior post it does have a beautiful sprayed paint job on it so I would not want to douse it in gasoline and light it on fire or anything like that. Im thinking that a blow torch would char the outside also.

Scott, you got a hand-held electric heat gun out in your shop...you know, the "industrial strength" hair dryer looking type? No flame, plenty hot, no scorching (if you're careful with it)...lots of patience (but we already know you have that). Just a thought. Were I in your shoes, I might think about giving it a try. Rick

fossil said:
Scott, you got a hand-held electric heat gun out in your shop...you know, the "industrial strength" hair dryer looking type? No flame, plenty hot, no scorching (if you're careful with it)...lots of patience (but we already know you have that). Just a thought. Were I in your shoes, I might think about giving it a try. Rick

Was thinking the same -- though maybe a couple of them, borrowed, plugged into separate circuits, pumping hot air thru the *inside* of the stove to heat the whole thing up. Maybe rent a propane weed burner or some other oversized torch as the heat source? I would be trying to flow heat through the inside the stove, evenly, rather than flambe' the outside bit by bit -- much lower thermal stresses on the castings that way. Can you rig a temporary grate and burn some charcoal briquets down inside the lower section of the stove, where it's not getting hot now?

All kind of a hassle... I bet a couple more good burns on warm days with windows open will see you past the worst of it.

Eddy

Status
Not open for further replies.