OK to pipe outside air into stove with galvanized pipe?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am going to hook up outside air to my Englander 24-ACD because the inspector wants it. The manual says it's a 3" pipe connection so I bought enough elbows and 3" galvanized 26 gauge pipe to do what I need.

Just want to make sure that the galvanized is OK to hook onto the inlet air to the stove? I also noticed it's VERY hard to get an elbow into the air inlet as the distance from pedestal base to the air inlet pipe seems too little.....any suggestions?

THANKS!

Galvanized is fine for an OAK. Perhaps Englander makes some sort of adapter to facilitate the hookup? Dunno, but it might be worth a phone call or an e-mail to them. Rick

I can't see any problem with that. This is cold intake air. The newer Englanders have the air pipe pointing straight out the back. How does it face in the 24-ACD?

You should use galvanized as it is prone to condensation and you don't want it rusting out.

I hope its OK, we have done it a few times :)

you'd be better off with a 3" aluminum flexible pipe.. cheap... and will last...

Valkyrie Rider said:
Air intake is out the bottom of the stove under the pedestal.

If you have a crimping tool, you may be able to trim off 1/2" and recrimp. Or perhaps take it straight down and elbow under the floor?

MagnaFlex said:
you'd be better off with a 3" aluminum flexible pipe.. cheap... and will last...

Thats what I put on my pellet stove. Stone simple flexible just stuff it where you want it with no fuss no muss. Gheap too. You are right about the condensation too. Mine is positively dripping wet sometimes

Status
Not open for further replies.