Ok to use fatwood or strike-a-fire starters in EPA stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

What do you use to start your fires?

• News paper

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Super Cedar or equivalent

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Fatwood

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Other

Votes: 6 37.5%

• Total voters

Fuut Master

Jun 12, 2017
East Tennessee
Would it be OK to use these type of starters in my new wood stove? It is a Hearthstone Mansfield. I have access to newspaper if it would be smarter to use. I have a lot of the commercial fatwood and strike-a-fire sticks left. I would like to use them if they are ok? Thanks!

Yes, no problem. SuperCedars are great and much less smoky than fatwood, but it's ok if that is what you have and you want to use them up. Newspaper works fine too.

Thanks Begreen for the quick response. I'll use up the fatwood and then use newspaper. I have enough papers to last many years I'm sure. ;)

For many years I would buy wax firestarter logs from walmart and chop them up into golf ball sized chunks and use those to start the kindling. The wax blacks can be started with a lighter.

I finally got smarter (A tiny bit) last year and use a propane torch. Just the little push button ignition deals on a coleman propane bottle. Use it to ignite kindling and quickly establish a draft. The propane is like one penny per startup and it is very fast.

http://www.bernzomatic.com/Products/Hand-Torches/Instant-On-Off/TS4000

Plus if you have an emergency crème brulee to caramelize or some soldering to do then you're all set!

Last edited:
Reactions: Woody5506
So what exactly is fat wood? And where do yo find it?

That is a great idea highbeam. I have several of the propane bottles from were we camp a lot. I will snatch one of those igniters up tonight online. Thanks for the advice. Might toast some marshmallows with it too;)

Fat wood is resin impregnated pine. The stuff I have Is store bought and looks like small pieces of kindling.

So what exactly is fat wood? And where do yo find it?

It is naturally occurring, in evergreens, a concentration of sap/pitch/tar in the wood near the stump. I find large pockets of fatwood so I save them since a) it might be fun and b) not sure I want a gallon of pitch burning off at once unexpectedly.

Here is a photo of last year's pile of fatwood harvested in the course of regular firewood processing. I still have it. Now that the torch is so fast and clean I'm not sure what to do with it.

Attachments

• fatty.JPG
    fatty.JPG
    202.9 KB · Views: 424
Thanks Begreen for the quick response. I'll use up the fatwood and then use newspaper. I have enough papers to last many years I'm sure. ;)
With good dry wood and kindling a little newspaper is all you need. As soon as it gets cold this is a moot point for many of us as we are burning 24/7.

This will be my first year with the Mansfield. I purchased it earlier this year and had enough cool weather to do the break in process. That was about it. I have been using an OWF for several years now and it was a 24/7 burn. Didn't really matter as much how I started the fires in it though. I am looking forward to cooler weather to see what the new wood stove will do.

The Mansfield is a beautiful hunk of rock.

I finally got smarter (A tiny bit) last year and use a propane torch. Just the little push button ignition deals on a coleman propane bottle. Use it to ignite kindling and quickly establish a draft. The propane is like one penny per startup and it is very fast.

http://www.bernzomatic.com/Products/Hand-Torches/Instant-On-Off/TS4000

Plus if you have an emergency crème brulee to caramelize or some soldering to do then you're all set!

A regular benzomatic MAPP torch burns propane just fine. Put on the yellow bottle for soldering, green bottle for stove and kitchen stuff!

On a related tangent... anyone know what the difference is between the green "camping gas" propane cylinders and the blue propane cylinders?

I'm fairly certain the only difference between the blue and green bottles is the manufacturer. It's the same gas (propane) just in a different package.

Here in the southern US, some of us call fat wood "lighter". You look for an old pine stump that is half rotted away. Take an ax and hit it a few times, the rotten stuff should fall away and the hard stuff is what you want.
I usually use a sledge hammer to knock pieces off the stump.
It will light with a match. It does make black smoke.
I rarely use it for my stove since I have coals to re-light the fire each morning.