Okanagan Black Hills?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apologies for the belated reply but when I returned to my local supplier three hours after they received 18 tons (not that 16 tons I thought) of the Okies BHH they were SOLD OUT! I couldn't quite believe it given their 10 bag max purchase but they assured me they were all gone and that they were indeed the Okies BHH. Its hard to believe because this is a small town and a small store that doesn't allow per-purchasing and they won't call customers if/when pellets arrive (somehow the word spread very quickly and a 100 plus customers came within a few hours of the delivery)! After some additional research I found another local hardware store that appeared to carry Okie Douglas Firs (at least according to their website). I called them and they were expecting a delivery that afternoon (between 2-5pm), well I of course arrived at 5pm and once again lost out. They sold 22 tons in 17mins (or at least that is what they told me - plus they were still allowing people to take a ton at a time), they said customers were following the delivery flatbed into the store. I was so bummed because at the time I only had 9 bags of Vermont Woods on hand and I really wanted the Firs!

Could not figure out what black hills were.Been burning oakie plats and ligs this year,oakies a little hotter,cleaner.I find out black hills are made in usa.Rest of oakies come from parent co. in BC.Never seen em here,yet they are supp. to be made in so dak.

black hills are from the owner ? of the company

"That would be Southern Yellow Pine from down south. They have been out in the market for over 3 months now under the Black Hills Heat label with a few thousand tons sold and so far the reviews have been excellent."

also if you like them they'll be renamed to okanagen gold

"We start bagging the Gold brand next week as we will have come to the end of our Black Hills bags and will make the change over on the bag. The product is the same, we are just changing the name and bag design to fall more in line with our current branding."

Last edited:
Hi guys,
My local supplier has been getting mostly Vermont Woods but occasionally gets a load of Okies in. I stopped by this morning and a flatbed of Okies pulled in, I was hoping they were Douglas Fir's but the front desk said their unfortunately Black Hills (which I've never used before). Considering jtakeman's comment above about the BHH pellets being discontinued I'm very curious just what these pellets actually are! The front desk person didn't know exactly what they were because they hadn't been off-loaded yet but assumed they were the BHH as they were expecting a delivery this week. They have a 10-bag max at the moment despite getting 16-tons and I'm about to leave to pick some up. I will post back tonight with the details, whatever they are I hope their decent!

Original BHH were Ponderosa Pine made in the black hills of south Dakota. New pellet is called Okies Gold. From what the guy marketing them said is they are a very comparable pine pellet. All I could get out of him was they are made out west and have excellent quality. Okies has loads of the old bags left over. They don't want to waste them. What you are getting is Okies gold in the BHH nag. Once these bags are used up, They will be using the new okies gold bag.

Lets us know how you like these. You might be the first to use some to my knowledge.

The rumor on the BHH mill, An oil company is using the mill to produce natural speedy dry to use in the oil fields.

I use Okanagan Platinum in the black & red bag.

Salty, if you come back around and read this thread I just have to say get a Harman. I have fed it all kinds of crap. One time it burped and heat came out.

Thanks for your insight jtakeman, I've only been a member here for a few weeks but your posts have been a lot of help - its clear you know your business!

Thanks for your insight jtakeman, I've only been a member here for a few weeks but your posts have been a lot of help - its clear you know your business!
Business? No, I just go nuts over pellets and stick my nose in here and there. I get some scoops and pass them on is all. ;)

Here is another snip from the man.

Just to set the record straight…an oil company did NOT buy the mill in SD ….but several companies that service the oil industry in SD have bought more pellets this year for clean up purposes and the mill sold them because they paid a higher price ….laws of supply and demand

Our Black Hills bags will all be used up this week and the new Okanagan Gold brand will start to appear in dealers yards. Same pellet as we have been using for the past few months, just a different bag design…Yellow Pine… .25% ash and 8400 BTU’s (as received)
Hope this helps! :)

Reactions: SwineFlue
Jay, Did you ever find out which mill Viridis Energy is working with? Is this just a "brand" marketing deal going on as Okanagan has already established a large customer base? What species is yellow pine supposed to be? Found it: Pinus ponderosa, commonly known as the ponderosa pine, bull pine, blackjack pine or western yellow pine,

Those oilfields better find something else to use for adsorb and leave the pellets alone :mad:

Mr warm didn't say which mill. I don't think he wants it to be public knowledge. Nor did he want known that Their Df is actually Bear Mountan. He never did admit that they are, But we are 99% possitive BM is whats in them bags!

I say give him a shout and see if he will give you more info.

Status
Not open for further replies.