Okanagan Question...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My local dealer's pre buy price for Okanagan ordered in April and May with delivery within 30 days is $289/ton with 1/2 off delivery cost. That's $10 more than he was selling in the winter.
yea, sounds about right......the pricing on Okies only went up, with no real "spring special" other than to buy them now, because the price is going up soon......how does the $289 compare with other Okie suppliers in your area?

yea, sounds about right......the pricing on Okies only went up, with no real "spring special" other than to buy them now, because the price is going up soon......how does the $289 compare with other Okie suppliers in your area?
I don't really know. Squier is so convenient, close by and treats me so well, I really don't buy from anyone else around my area.

I don't really know. Squier is so convenient, close by and treats me so well, I really don't buy from anyone else around my area.

I didnt say to buy them elsewhere, I was kinda alluding to the fact that you could check other Okie pricing available locally. I'll be the first to say folks shouldnt buy on pricing alone. There are other things to consider in a purchase, but price seems to be the number one factor on this forum. Other things to consider might be delivery, and the price thereof (cheap pricing means nothing if you dont have a means of conveyance and need to make 5 trips for a ton), availability, service, etc. Since delivery is half at this point, maybe the LANDED cost for you might prompt you to buy now.....just a thought!

I didnt say to buy them elsewhere, I was kinda alluding to the fact that you could check other Okie pricing available locally. I'll be the first to say folks shouldnt buy on pricing alone. There are other things to consider in a purchase, but price seems to be the number one factor on this forum. Other things to consider might be delivery, and the price thereof (cheap pricing means nothing if you dont have a means of conveyance and need to make 5 trips for a ton), availability, service, etc. Since delivery is half at this point, maybe the LANDED cost for you might prompt you to buy now.....just a thought!
I know what you said and what you meant. I guess the simple answer to the question is...no I don't know what the prices are of other local dealers. I live too far away from other Okie dealers for it to be cost effective, so I don't really bother. Squier is litterally 10 minutes down the road from me.

I agree with this. There are dealers who have "better" prices but charge $59 - $69 for delivery. Regardless of where you live. So they charge a delivery 10 miles away the same as a delivery 50 miles away. I can get Lingetics for example for $269 a ton with a $59.00 delivery or Oakies for $289.00 with a $20.00 delivery. Even if it worked out to be the same price I would rather pay for the better pellet than put the money towards a higher delivery charge.

I agree with this. There are dealers who have "better" prices but charge $59 - $69 for delivery. Regardless of where you live. So they charge a delivery 10 miles away the same as a delivery 50 miles away. I can get Lingetics for example for $269 a ton with a $59.00 delivery or Oakies for $289.00 with a $20.00 delivery. Even if it worked out to be the same price I would rather pay for the better pellet than put the money towards a higher delivery charge.
My delivery charge is $25 regardless of the tonnage. I have no choice. I don't own a pickup or trailer and I'm certainly not going to pick up 4 or 5 tons a few bags at a time. It's a good enough deal for me unless I could get free delivery and I know that aint happening from anybody. My closest Okies dealer other than this one is 20+ miles away.

My delivery charge is $25 regardless of the tonnage. I have no choice. I don't own a pickup or trailer and I'm certainly not going to pick up 4 or 5 tons a few bags at a time. It's a good enough deal for me unless I could get free delivery and I know that aint happening from anybody. My closest Okies dealer other than this one is 20+ miles away.

$20, $25, $30 I think is acceptable for delivery charge... when you get into the $60 range your talking about robbery. Unless you live very far away, but charging $59.00 to deliver 10 miles away is excessive to me.

Reactions: Lousyweather
$20, $25, $30 I think is acceptable for delivery charge... when you get into the $60 range your talking about robbery. Unless you live very far away, but charging $59.00 to deliver 10 miles away is excessive to me.
You're preaching to the choir on that one. I totally agree, but if you don't have the equipment, what are you going to do. You're at the mercy of the dealer who can charge whatever they feel they want for a delivery. The other option is $500+/month for six years to buy that new Ford pickup.

yea, but when you figure the cost of a driver, fuel, insurance, a $200,000 truck (with moffit), and also given the fact that, (beleive it or not), there is a VERY slim margin for profit on a product that is prone to breakage and damage due to climatic conditions, I guess I can justify charging for delivery. As someone said (somewhere) before, you can totally avoid the delivery charge if you can arrange delivery yourself......but many folks cant.

Status
Not open for further replies.