okay what about an easier to open gas cap ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jeanw

Feeling the Heat
Sep 23, 2008
ky
My used vehicle I bought a while back has this blankey blank hard to get off gas cap.
It says"snap" to open . Most times I have to ask someone at filling station to help me get it off. Otherwise I am a fussing and fuing and yelling at it...
Auto Zone says they have just a tyhe same as a replacement. The guy who waited on me said he has a similar sitution. But of course hes young and strong>>>>>
Thanks brilllant folks on here.

Is this a ford product? Like a fusion? With the twist 90 degree and pop off cap?

All of them have those clicky caps now- some are worse than others to get open, and just as bad to close- and if you do not get it closed properly then ya get the check eng light ( CEL) on the dash with and E-vap code.

Most times I have to ask someone at filling station to help me get it off.
I hope you preface that exchange with what "it" is.

All of them have those clicky caps now- some are worse than others to get open, and just as bad to close- and if you do not get it closed properly then ya get the check eng light ( CEL) on the dash with and E-vap code.
My newest car doesn't have a gas cap. Simply hit the button from driver's seat to open the gas door, and the filler neck is right there. No cap! Maybe they figured I'd be stopping to fill it too often to mess with gas caps. ;lol

Well that either means it uses a lot of fuel or the tank is so small ya can't get from one station to the next.:confused:

It's a thirsty motha', and my 4x4 quad cab pickup truck actually uses less gas than that car... but point being, no gas cap! Not all new cars have those new clicky caps.

Well that either means it uses a lot of fuel or the tank is so small ya can't get from one station to the next.:confused:
last week or so I broke the cap off frustrated I couldnt remove the cap to fill up the tank...Rah
unfortunately the replacement from AZ is no easier and doesnt have the safety loop that makes the cap dangle....duh
I just cant believe someone hasnt come out with a replacement for us weak females...RAH:p:mad:

last week or so I broke the cap off frustrated I couldnt remove the cap to fill up the tank...Rah
unfortunately the replacement from AZ is no easier and doesnt have the safety loop that makes the cap dangle....duh
I just cant believe someone hasnt come out with a replacement for us weak females...RAH:p:mad:

Like Ashful, my 2010 F-150 has no gas cap. Just pop the filler door open, insert nozzle. My 2013 Mazda CX-5 has a standard twist cap. Very easy to use (even for the arthritic or weak). Who makes these difficult caps?

Like Ashful, my 2010 F-150 has no gas cap. Just pop the filler door open, insert nozzle. My 2013 Mazda CX-5 has a standard twist cap. Very easy to use (even for the arthritic or weak). Who makes these difficult caps?

Sadists.

Maybe it's the electric car lobby?

My newest car doesn't have a gas cap. Simply hit the button from driver's seat to open the gas door, and the filler neck is right there. No cap! Maybe they figured I'd be stopping to fill it too often to mess with gas caps. ;lol

Me too... Our brand new '17 Honda has that no cap filler also. There are two spring loaded trap doors - I believe the one you see is just a cover and then I suspect there is another one behind that which is what seals air tight. the car comes with a special funnel stored with the spare tire kit you need to use to hold it open if you have to do an emergency fill via gas can.

Seemed to me like an answer to a question nobody asked, but that is par for the course with all the new whiz bang features they are stuffing into cars now.

Don't get me started about how you can be stranded and unable to drive if the battery in the fob of these keyless start dies.

Don't get me started about how you can be stranded and unable to drive if the battery in the fob of these keyless start dies.

Untrue, the start uses a passive RFID system. The vehicle itself sends out the signal to find the key no battery required.

Even if that fails the fobs do have an actual key if everything fails.

Untrue, the start uses a passive RFID system. The vehicle itself sends out the signal to find the key no battery required.

Even if that fails the fobs do have an actual key if everything fails.

Will it? The physical key in the fob only opens the door.. the start is pushbutton. The users manual has a note that when the FOB battery gets low a dashboard indicator light will come on to warn me. It also says to hold the FOB close to the start button when this happens. It doesn't explicitly state that it would work via RFID with the battery completely dead... maybe I should yank the battery and test it.

This would make sense, as the old chipped immobilizer keys worked without a battery.... ok....

Will it? The physical key in the fob only opens the door.. the start is pushbutton. The users manual has a note that when the FOB battery gets low a dashboard indicator light will come on to warn me. It also says to hold the FOB close to the start button when this happens. It doesn't explicitly state that it would work via RFID with the battery completely dead... maybe I should yank the battery and test it.

This would make sense, as the old chipped immobilizer keys worked without a battery.... ok....

My wife has installed the battery incorrectly in the fob and the start still works. On her Durango you use the key to pop out the push button then insert the fob and turn, if that doesn't work you insert the actual key and then use the fob to turn.

My wife has installed the battery incorrectly in the fob and the start still works. On her Durango you use the key to pop out the push button then insert the fob and turn, if that doesn't work you insert the actual key and then use the fob to turn.
You're talking about their older key, still used on some of the regular Dodge and Ram vehicles:

2016-dodge-ram-truck-remote-key-fobik-w-engine-start-refurbished-10.jpg

The newer FOB, used for a few years now on SRT cars, is a little different:

gallery_nrm_1418574566-hellcatfobs.jpg

I have not seen or heard of any manual override for these keys. Also, while the car does initiate the communication process, I believe the key fob does require power to respond.

You're talking about their older key, still used on some of the regular Dodge and Ram vehicles:

View attachment 198825

View attachment 198826

I have not seen or heard of any manual override for these keys. Also, while the car does initiate the communication process, I believe the key fob does require power to respond.
I dont know about new dodges but some have keys in them and the button pops off to reveal a keyhole behind it.

I really dont get the point though. I never thought using a key was a hastle.

Btw my old ford truck has push button start to but that is because i was to lazy to track down the bad wire going to the ignition switch.

View attachment 198826

This is what my new Honda key looks like. As I mentioend above the user manual mentions a low battery ovveride. Based on what was said above I did some googling and people report the ovveride works via RFID even when the batery is dead as fester mentioned.

Like I said I may test it. It would make sense to do it that way and not rely on a battery.

I dont know about new dodges but some have keys in them and the button pops off to reveal a keyhole behind it.

Btw my old ford truck has push button start to but that is because i was to lazy to track down the bad wire going to the ignition switch.

I thought the same (whats the big deal) but I have to admit the new car is convenient... Never having to reach into your pocket. Touch the handle and it unlocks, hit the button and it starts... walk away and it locks.

I worry if anything it will make me lazy and careless....

Reactions: Ashful

View attachment 198825

View attachment 198826

Still the same passive system, use the emergency key to open the door then use the nose of the key to press the start button, that's the procedure from the owners manual.

This is what my new Honda key looks like. As I mentioend above the user manual mentions a low battery ovveride. Based on what was said above I did some googling and people report the ovveride works via RFID even when the batery is dead as fester mentioned.

Like I said I may test it. It would make sense to do it that way and not rely on a battery.

I thought the same (whats the big deal) but I have to admit the new car is convenient... Never having to reach into your pocket. Touch the handle and it unlocks, hit the button and it starts... walk away and it locks.

I worry if anything it will make me lazy and careless....
My wife and mother both have cars without keys and i find it pointless still for me. It also really annoys me that keys/keyfobs now cost several hundred dollars. But that happened long before the keyless thing

Ditto . . . never really saw the appeal of the whole key-less deal. The day that I find it a chore to have to walk around with a key in my pocket and find it annoying to have to reach in my pocket to unlock the car and then start the car is the day when I should stop driving.

Then again . . . I'm not a huge fan of many of the extras put in cars and trucks today. Oh sure, don't get me wrong, some things are nice . . . but I really don't need or want all of the electronics.

Ditto . . . never really saw the appeal of the whole key-less deal. The day that I find it a chore to have to walk around with a key in my pocket and find it annoying to have to reach in my pocket to unlock the car and then start the car is the day when I should stop driving.

Then again . . . I'm not a huge fan of many of the extras put in cars and trucks today. Oh sure, don't get me wrong, some things are nice . . . but I really don't need or want all of the electronics.

I used to agree with you, until I had one. Now it annoys the chit out of me that my truck doesn't have it. When my hands are dirty or wet, or I'm wearing work gloves, it's nice to not have to reach into my pocket for a key. Heck, anytime my pocket has a half-dozen different keys and tags (eg. barn, tractor, mower, trailer lock, truck), it's nice to not have to dig around for a key.

You folks complaining about keyless entry or keyless push button start probably had fathers who complained about electric windows, but who among you wants to crank down a passenger window, or get in and out of the car to roll down rear windows?

I used to agree with you, until I had one. Now it annoys the chit out of me that my truck doesn't have it. When my hands are dirty or wet, or I'm wearing work gloves, it's nice to not have to reach into my pocket for a key. Heck, anytime my pocket has a half-dozen different keys and tags (eg. barn, tractor, mower, trailer lock, truck), it's nice to not have to dig around for a key.

You folks complaining about keyless entry or keyless push button start probably had fathers who complained about electric windows, but who among you wants to crank down a passenger window, or get in and out of the car to roll down rear windows?
I have several vehicles including 2 work trucks i drive all the time with crank up windows. Yes power is nice but really not a big deal to me to turn a crank. And to be clear the only thing i am complaining about is the price of the keys. I dont dislike the whole keyless thing just see it as a solution to a problem that doesnt exist.

I love my keyless ignition and I love my electric windows too. I love an air conditioner that chills the car good. I love GPS too.

I remember the days when all I wanted was 4 wheels and an engine that ran
even 2 wheels was OK . I sill drive a plane Jane basic unit nothing fancy
gets me from point A to point B
And then theirs my Sunday go to meet en CAR But it still is just 4 wheel and an engine

$_27.JPG

Reactions: Ashful

We vacationed up in Maine this year and managed to stop in at the wonderful Owls head museum on the way back the weekend they where running all their antique cars and planes. We got to take the kids for a ride in a 1915 Model T. It was a hoot and almost makes me want to buy one as a fun project car its *that* different.

So my luddite cred is still intact I believe...

Have said all that I am totally with Ashful on this one. I used to think that stuff was all just gimmicks and now the wife's new car is pushbutton start, power lift gate, no cap gas filler. They seem like unnecessary conveniences at first but you get used to them REAL fast and like you I get annoyed now when I get back in the truck and have to use the key.

I can now see hwy they came up with ideas like waving your foot under the bumper to make the trunk open.

Last edited: