okay yall anyone know of a dead mouse detector ?

jeanw Posted By jeanw, May 19, 2017 at 7:34 PM

1. jeanw

jeanw
    Member 2.
    NULL

Sep 23, 2008
    Loc:
    ky
    started smelling yesterday coming up from the basement. Hubby said he moved stuff around looking for whatever t is smelling. He said he checked all his mouse snap and glue traps.
    Its literately making me sick..The smell is wafting upstairs. We have yet to turn on the AC...
    we are outside so much lately in our pergatory place...
    It prob in a wall cavity....
    Hubby sold his Freon leak dector years ago....
    has anyone invented like a metal dectector type contraption so we can narrow it down. Yall know how bad lighting is in a basement.. He said he used our bright flashlights...
    HELP
    thanks

2. Prof

Prof
    Burning Hunk 2.
    NULL

Oct 18, 2011
    Loc:
    Western PA
    I can't really be of much help, but I feel your pain. A few years ago we had a dead mouse smell in our storage room. The smell lasted about a month and then went away. We didn't have any luck in finding the cause. When we moved, we found a mouse skeleton in an antique bottle. Wish I had some good advice for you beside open the windows!

3. heat seeker

heat seeker
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Feb 25, 2011
    Loc:
    Northern CT
    Same here - I sympathize, but have no help. We had a squirrel (I assume, since it lasted so long) die in our attic in an inaccessible place. It was so bad in the house that flies were trying to get in! I came up with the idea of letting a couple of flies in and watched where they went. They both went to one spot in the ceiling, so I figured that's the spot. No way to get at that spot in the attic, so I closed the room off and waited it out - over a week! I tried every odor remedy I could find on the web, and nothing really helped.

Maybe you could try the fly thing - they're nature's carrion detectors.

vinny11950 likes this.
  4. EatenByLimestone

EatenByLimestone
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jul 12, 2006
    Loc:
    Schenectady, NY
    You can try odoban. Without eliminating the source I don't know how well it would work.