okay yall anyone know of a dead mouse detector ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jeanw

Feeling the Heat
Sep 23, 2008
ky
started smelling yesterday coming up from the basement. Hubby said he moved stuff around looking for whatever t is smelling. He said he checked all his mouse snap and glue traps.
Its literately making me sick..The smell is wafting upstairs. We have yet to turn on the AC...
we are outside so much lately in our pergatory place...
It prob in a wall cavity....
Hubby sold his Freon leak dector years ago....
has anyone invented like a metal dectector type contraption so we can narrow it down. Yall know how bad lighting is in a basement.. He said he used our bright flashlights...
HELP
thanks

I can't really be of much help, but I feel your pain. A few years ago we had a dead mouse smell in our storage room. The smell lasted about a month and then went away. We didn't have any luck in finding the cause. When we moved, we found a mouse skeleton in an antique bottle. Wish I had some good advice for you beside open the windows!

Same here - I sympathize, but have no help. We had a squirrel (I assume, since it lasted so long) die in our attic in an inaccessible place. It was so bad in the house that flies were trying to get in! I came up with the idea of letting a couple of flies in and watched where they went. They both went to one spot in the ceiling, so I figured that's the spot. No way to get at that spot in the attic, so I closed the room off and waited it out - over a week! I tried every odor remedy I could find on the web, and nothing really helped.

Maybe you could try the fly thing - they're nature's carrion detectors.

Reactions: vinny11950
WELL glad to report back its gone. Hubby found the culprit
AN EGG in my raincoat pocket
I tried rinsing it out... no help... So had to throw away the raincoat... But at least it was ripped and never got round to taping the long tear....
I try not to make extra trips so I occ stick one in my pocket and so have two hand free... Otherwise I grab the basket and try to make it back inside real fast.....
Ive acc cracked one sev times in my pocket....but cleaned it up right away....
thanks yall