"old Appalachian 30-CD" newbie needs help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

southernnewbie

Nov 12, 2014
Memphis, TN
Newbie here -- I know nothing about wood stoves but a year ago we moved into a house with (and I quote Appalachian's customer service rep) a "old Appalachian 30-Cd" (serial #16957) and I am frankly having issues with it.

I can't get wood to burn and it certainly could be the quality/dryness of the wood (I live in an area that until last winter had relatively mild winters and I have been used to using gas logs) but I can't get a good burn with the door open but the moment I close it...GONE!

I do get some smoke into the room when I open the door and the downstairs smells pretty heavy with smoke. It has been very windy here and I have had a few smoke puffs through the vents when the doors are closed...any suggestions??

Attachments

• image (2).jpeg
    image (2).jpeg
    45.8 KB · Views: 367
I'm a newbie too, but from what you've said, it sounds like your wood is too wet, or perhaps you don't have a good hot coal bed. Are you starting out with paper & kindling, and then working up to larger logs? If you get a really nice bed of coals it helps to ignite and burn the larger logs when you add them. Here's a good video on starting a fire safely:

Status
Not open for further replies.