Old condar probe meter vs. new auber digital thermocouple

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Lots of VC guys use the auber meters, it prevents and protects our stoves from melting. I dont think this thread reads like an ad. They are handy tools to have for wood burners. Just like IR guns handy gadgets to have.

Left over from a past job is a roll of stainless steel sheathed high temp thermocouple wire. We didnt want to have splices in the field so we would order it in 100 foot lengths and our company billed the client whether we used it or not. I dont have a thermocouple welder but a couple of tight wraps seem to last quite awhile.

Laymen tend to throw around accuracy and precision terms interchangeably and that makes a test engineer cringe. Some of our test results could be worth hundreds of thousands of dollars to a client so we had to be pretty careful with terms. So the question with respect to the Condar is which one of these four is likely to be the best description?, my guess is precise but not accurate unless its calibrated. Barring corrosion of the bimetal strip, my guess is differential expansion rates are pretty fixed for the life of the coil so the precision is "baked in". On the other hand the potential for the dial to get knocked inadvertently is definitely high. It could have been wrong leaving the factory (the Friday afternoon effect), it could have been knocked around during shipping or it could have been knocked around at home. Ideally if its precise it can normally be made accurate with calibration. I think to most folks the absolute value is less important than the repeatability. The meter could be calibrated in nonsense values but as long as the stove owner used them consistently to guide the operation of the stove it would work.

1606856642977.png

Reactions: mar13
what's the full product name? can't find it on amazon.

Ahh, that time of year again.

Reactions: begreen
Auber instruments at200
Has anyone seen a thermometer and manometer combo?

Auber instruments at200
Has anyone seen a thermometer and manometer combo?

That would be cool.

I looked on amazon and found the at200 for twice the price that I got it directly from auber. The good news is that you can read the amazon reviews for tips and tricks and then buy it from the manufacturer.

Like diabel I have the AT100 for my encore. It’s a must with these stoves. I also have an imperial pipe probe which I bought because it was lopro and blended in with the pipe which is what I thought I wanted. Well turns out I can’t read it from the recliner. So basically during warm up I’m constantly walking over to the stove to check the flue temps. It would be sweet to have a digital unit with two probes one for the pipe and one for the cat.

Like diabel I have the AT100 for my encore. It’s a must with these stoves. I also have an imperial pipe probe which I bought because it was lopro and blended in with the pipe which is what I thought I wanted. Well turns out I can’t read it from the recliner. So basically during warm up I’m constantly walking over to the stove to check the flue temps. It would be sweet to have a digital unit with two probes one for the pipe and one for the cat.

That would be perfect for the house BK. It might be tough to make the cat probe look good since the hole is top middle of the stove but the function would great.

This thermocouple system is intended to live in the shop above the NC30. I put it in the probe hole of the BK just to verify the accuracy of the condar mechanical probe. If I was starting with a new flue system above a BK I really don't know if I would drill the hole in front for the condar or choose a thermocouple to mount on the back of the pipe since these things are pretty cheap, accurate, reactive, have an alarm, and the display is more visible from a distance.

Heck, I might just buy a second at200 for the BK if the wife can live with the aesthetic. I would probably pay extra for the longer thermocouple wire though since the base model has a 6' cable that limits the placement of the display which has only a 3 foot power cord.

I did set the high alarm for 1000 last night and hopefully shut off the second alarm. I was a little afraid that the alarm would be buzzing this morning but it was nice and quiet telling me that the flue gasses were still 81 degrees.
Aesthetics... If you don't have a wall power plug nearby, is your only option getting a very long cable for the probe? I saw something about, what imagine, is a large battery option, but I don't see that flying as the main visual in the living room.

Aesthetics... If you don't have a wall power plug nearby, is your only option getting a very long cable for the probe? I saw something about, what imagine, is a large battery option, but I don't see that flying as the main visual in the living room.

Many of us already have a power cord for the stove blower so a cable is already present which will sort of hide another cable. The thermocouple in the pipe is not sleek but at least it’s in the back. The display is pretty nerdy looking with red glowing digits and is always on.

The whole thing is fine for a nerdy bachelor, or in a shop, but not every wife will approve of this in the living room.

Reactions: Gearhead660
The whole thing is fine for a nerdy bachelor, or in a shop, but not every wife will approve of this in the living room.
[/QUOTE]
Luckily my wife is very tolerant of my projects and nerdy tendencies...

Reactions: Highbeam
Power draw I suspect is low. A compact rechargeable lithium-ion battery or pack would probably work ok.

Luckily my wife is very tolerant of my projects and nerdy tendencies...
My wife and son actually like the clear and responsive display and alarm. I think she just attributes the minimal wiring up to stove stuff.

Reactions: Gearhead660
So my wife decided to reload the Myriad before I got home...alarm went off and she quickly closed the damper. Think the Auber is justified now for sure in my opinion!