old fashioned cooking fireplaces

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been toying with the idea of an old fashioned German type cooking fireplace in my new house. I have seen two types- a fireplace that looks like a typical one except it is huge! I mean walk-in huge! The inset part must be 5-6 foot tall, with it being about 6 foot wide. The depth is about 4-5 feet, I think. The second kind is sort of like a room- the 'ceiling' is low- about 5-6 foot, and it is actually a small room- the actual fire is in the corner. It has a 'slider' door that closes the whole thing off when not in use.
I have an old Majestic wood/coal cook stove that works, and I thought something like this would be fitting of the simple style of home I am looking for. It would also add to the functionality if the electric goes out, as the wood cook stove does.
Do any of you know of a book that would be a good building resource?
Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.