Old French stove - what type?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MoMinor

Aug 19, 2022
Uk
I’m wondering if anyone can help me with a French stove that I recently came by.
I’m confused as to what it is. Is it an open fire on legs ( if you see what I mean) or a stove that needs to be sealed?
Would anyone know the make or type?
It doesn’t look like there has been Mica or glass fitted in the door. There are lots of decorative holes in the door and the grate is open vented at the front, and below the grate is completely open.
Neither does it look like the door has had a seal fitted. It’s a pretty tight fit but probably not air tight at the bottom. It’s got an elongated flue at the rear and possibly an option for top flue?
I’d like to strip and rebuild for use at home but not sure how to classify it for checking the regulations!
Any help or information would be much appreciated.
AE85BCC3-E606-4FA7-B925-5FA17E5D0381.jpeg
C89AE600-F5DF-4534-94B7-588B6DC6E323.jpeg
F831B7F8-7C33-49DF-B47E-FD9B3224C6B9.jpeg
51FDF907-8C7F-4873-9FA0-CDB3F7F4481F.jpeg
A6A0B01B-AFCF-4B9C-8752-33B26E6DEA43.jpeg

i could be wrong but does that door have something between the outside and the inside metal? if there is a way to remove the inside plate on the inside of the door then take it off and see what is behind it. might be a way to install a mica glass. it looks from the picture to have a air control under the lip in the middle.

this is way out of my league but the middle picture on the top row the opening under the decorative grate looks like a place for coal but i don't see a shaker grate and am not sure if they made a coal stove without one

Thanks for your thoughts fbelec, appreciate the input.
I did separate the door plates. They were just wired but would have had fixings in four raised posts. I’ve added pictures. I still have doubts that mica would fit the profile and seal. The gap at the bottom looks like it would be too wide, but I am a novice!
Pictures of the next section added too.
The grate as you say is fixed not a shaker.
Hmm guess I’ll clean it up and wait till I can get more info on this type!
FB781050-C451-4033-A874-C9158748700D.jpeg70D9057D-139D-4497-A617-48EC4450AA0A.jpeg 005A0EBB-F0B7-4C3A-8E6C-751D77C990F0.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, usually, these old stoves have always the name of the stoves maker, as an exemple : Godin...if no name written somewhere, be shure that it's an antique stove not a reproduction. But nice stove anyway. Salutations from Québec.

Yes, the maker is commonly cast somewhere on the stove. The design looks older so it stands a good chance of being original. It does look like maybe there was mica (isinglass) between the front door layers. Otherwise, it's just a fireplace screen door but just guessing here.

My guess is that it had mica as well. I don't see any other reason it would have 2 layers

Yes I see your point with the two skins and mica. But then the section below has open vents too and is above the grate. Also open section below the grate. What purpose would the mica serve just in the door? Flow, gas or flying embers maybe?

I don’t see a name plate. I am planning to strip and rebuild soon, so will see what shows up!

Yes I see your point with the two skins and mica. But then the section below has open vents too and is above the grate. Also open section below the grate. What purpose would the mica serve just in the door? Flow, gas or flying embers maybe?

I don’t see a name plate. I am planning to strip and rebuild soon, so will see what shows up!
It's all about directing air flow.