Old galvanized roof panels over brick hearth walls?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JE NH

Dec 6, 2021
Hi guys. I have a new Drolet Escape as of last year and love it. Your advice led to me getting it . I'm thinking of revamping the look of my old brick hearth in my log cabin with old corrugated galvanized roofing panels with patina.. should I be concerned with the galvanized panels getting too hot and the zinc off gassing? Also, how would you guys go about attaching it besides stainless steel screws into the mortar behind? Or if I should consider other metal please let me know..Thanks in advance , JE in NH

IMG_20230116_172044_01.jpg

I think this would be best asked in the main hearth room forum. This forum is all about wood.

Perhaps @begreen can help you out and move it.

Good luck!

Reactions: JE NH
It's unlikely that the zinc would off-gas at the low temp behind the stove.

No problem. I moved it for you to the main forum.

I wouldn't personally go into the mortar as it might crumble over time. The screws could come loose.
I used plugs and screws straight into an interior brick wall to install studs.
Simply drill holes with a masonory bit, hammer in the plugs and insert the screws.
Good luck.

Sticking with the golden rule of walls being 70 f above ambient room temperature your panels at 140 50 60° won't be even close to affecting galvanized metal. Galvanized metal is stable up to somewhere around 900 F.

Reactions: JE NH and begreen