Old Granite Fireplace. Internal lining questions.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Casey

Sep 22, 2014
california
We purchased this cabin that was built in the 20's and is part of a historical camping trac. My question is that the fire brick is falling apart and falling down. It appears someone installed this a long time ago and it was not original. I would like to recover the original width of the fire place as you can see the bricks are on the sides.

My question is if there is another material that I can use to protect the inside without using fire bricks? I was thinking 1/4 - 3/8 steel plate back with some sides? Maybe line the back of the steel plate with a fireproof material? Really looking for out of the box suggestions here.

thanks!!

Attachments

• IMG_0067.JPG
    IMG_0067.JPG
    218.9 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_0074.JPG
    IMG_0074.JPG
    169.7 KB · Views: 184
its fine. Its just a rural camping cabin. Nothing is to code or even close to code. It was built in the 20's using prison labor and stolen materials from city projects. :)

Judging by the smoky front it looks like kind of a lousy fireplace design, or perhaps too short a chimney. Is the chimney even lined? If not, this could be risky business for anything but short occasional fires. If it were me I'd be putting a good looking stove in there with a proper stainless liner.

I would say soapstone but that would probably be more than what you would want to spend.

If this is just a covering then metal should work, I am guessing the firebricks was used for trapping some of the heat.

If it was me I would look for a used rear vent wood stove to slide into that fireplace once you get the bricks out, run a liner to the top..... but again that would be money, not sure what your budget is for this.

well you need a new fire box but it looks like it smokes like crazy what size flue is it and what size box? is it lined? what does the smoke chamber look like? If you want to use it as a open fireplace at the very least it needs the fire box rebuilt bt probably more. Id have a mason or sweep look at it

Not using this as primary heat. We have a LPG floor heater and blankets.

Chimney is about 20ft tall.

Smoke in front is due from them putting these bricks in and then using the same wood grate but turning it sideways so it was hanging into the front.

Is the chimney lined?

Height should be ok what size is the flue and the box? and what size is the damper opening. Really if the ratio between the fire box and the flue is right And the smoke chamber is decent even if the fire was a little out of the firebox it should still pull the smoke out

ok then i would recommend not using it until you line to be used as a fireplace or put int a woodstove or insert with a liner. But it has to have a flue it may not be lined but it there is a channel up and out there is a flue

sorry, yes, it does have a flue. I was thinking damper.

I am really just looking for ideas for lining the fire box itself. I am not concerned about the rest of the fire place as it has been used like this for 95 years and the other 12 cabins in this trac are the same.

well you asked our opinion and in my professional opinion without being there to see it in person i have to say without a liner it is not safe to use just a cabin or not there will be people sleeping there and i would hate to see something happen

But as far as the firebox goes you need to tear out the brick and lay up a new box i would put a damper in while you have that old box out as well

You say 95 years like it's a good thing. To me, that is all the more reason for caution. Masonry and mortar doesn't get stronger over decades, it deteriorates.

Status
Not open for further replies.