Old guy new house & new stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jimjjr

Jan 19, 2019
NW arkansas
I finally trying to settle in after several moves. I found some property in the country with several acres. Hoping to get back to burning wood. When I had my house built I had a wood stove installed by certified people as per insurance company's suggestion. Everything seems to work great EXCEPT Hahahaha.
When I clean out stove during warmer spells I'm have difficulty when it turns cold and I start a new fire I get smoke back in the house. The stove I have is a Country Hearth 2000 sq ft version this cold stove start almost always ends with doors or windows open to clear out smoke in the house. I'll be glad to answer questions as needed advice would be appreciated
Thanks Jim

I finally trying to settle in after several moves. I found some property in the country with several acres. Hoping to get back to burning wood. When I had my house built I had a wood stove installed by certified people as per insurance company's suggestion. Everything seems to work great EXCEPT Hahahaha.
When I clean out stove during warmer spells I'm have difficulty when it turns cold and I start a new fire I get smoke back in the house. The stove I have is a Country Hearth 2000 sq ft version this cold stove start almost always ends with doors or windows open to clear out smoke in the house. I'll be glad to answer questions as needed advice would be appreciated
Thanks Jim
It is probably being caused by a cold flue. Try prewarming the chimney first I usually recommend a propane torch turned on and set in there for a few mins.

Reactions: Ben Stark
I will sometimes burn a bunch of crumpled up newspaper to jump start the flue.

Reactions: Rhodie
Add more newspaper, and the minute it sets, close the door almost all the way, so that it's open only a crack, wait till the fire gets going a few minutes, then close the door fully.

Reactions: XmasTreefarmer
Might also crack open your nearest window or door when starting from cold.

Add more newspaper, and the minute it sets, close the door almost all the way, so that it's open only a crack, wait till the fire gets going a few minutes, then close the door fully.
Wow thanks for the response's I was trying to light some kindling with paper towels but when they went out stove would smoke from every where. Will try the news papers
Thanks Jim

Heat gun or hair dryer works well to pre-heat the flue.
As you may know from previous experience, stoves need dry wood to burn well. If you're going to get your own wood off the property, start now to assure you have the dryest wood you can get. Get small trees <8", with all the bark gone..that stuff should be pretty dry. Split and stack soft Maple in the wind, top-covered, and it will be fairly dry by fall.

Thanks Jim
You may have a case of reverse draft going on. I get this with cold stove sometimes. A good firestarter and some kindling helps maintain a flame until the flue starts drafting in the right direction. I have one of these same stoves in a small space and it works well.

When the stove is cold there is a colum of cold dense air in the chimney. (From the exterior air.) It’s a very common and frustrating problem. Build your fire using the top down method. Don’t even try to light it until you reverse the flow of cold air down the chimney. Otherwise the smoke will just spill into the house.

Warm the flue with a propane torch first, and then light the fire. Keep the stove door open an inch for about 15 minutes, while keeping an eye on the stove. Once the fire is established you can close the door, wait about 15 more minutes and adjust your air control. Once the chimney is drawing you should be good to go!

Adding some height to your flue and insulating your flue might help.

Easiest answer is the first one, use a propane torch or such to warm up the flue. Maybe you have an electric heat gun for paint stripping, people use them too.

The best answer is, "It's winter; quit letting the stove go out!" :)

I would start with a candle or a stick of incense. First shut down the dryer/range/hood/bath fan/etc. Warm up the flue a bit with the torch, then burn the candle/incense in the stove and watch where the smoke goes. If it is going into the room, but reverses when you open a window, you have a pressure problem which is going to be a lot worse when you run the dryer/range hood/bath fan/etc.

Long term, I would look into an outside air kit for the stove if there's an air pressure problem, and look into a taller insulated flue otherwise. (Honestly, the OAK might be a good ides either way if the stove isn't in the basement.)

I also had a bad reverse draft issue. Started preheating flue with a hair dryer, but discovered that a top down fire creates enough heat from the burning newspaper and kindling to heat the flue and get the draft going in the right direction.

I wander if he added another say.... 3 foot section of class A would help his draft? And I wander how high his stack is now and if he has any bends or turns in it?

With fire out and cold, open the stove door and hold your hand in front of the door close to the top. Do you feel cold air blowing in?? Now go over and open the front door and storm door or open a window then go back to the stove, has the cold air stopped? If so, this is when you light the fire, wait a minute or two for the fire to establish the draft and then close the front door or window you opened. Its usually a house pressurization issue. I have the same challenge.

Reactions: Woody Stover