Old Heatform... Can I take it out?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not fond of the wood location. It makes for an interesting visual, but all is clean only in Photoshop. In reality, wood is messy and often heavy. I'd want it adjacent to the fireplace at or close to the same level.

Thanks for your input! I agree with you too, but really there's no room for wood below. This is a living room... anywhere on sides of fire box would make you sort of walk around it... The space is already there above... and those little free standing wood holders are really too small for a good evening of fire...

What is behind the plywood to the right of the firebox?

BlakesDesk Porter said:
Update on 1952 HeatForm

The heatform came out with no problem. Used a 4.5" grinder, cut in sections... The chimney stack, directly above, stayed firmly in place...Was not resting on heatform. Hired an experienced fireplace mason for this..did not want chimney tiles to come crashing down.
We had the firebox and smoke-shelf rebuilt. The fire box, priviously on ground level was raised 5" to make fire more visible/interesting and allow for a hearth. That was a bigger job than expected.

We had planed to add an insert, but the beauty of fresh fire brick gave me pause... The pictures show where I'm at now.
The walls surrounding fireplace were uneven, so I will add a perfectly level new wall... The design plan is to go with a Modern look. It's probably going to be a dark grey tile (almost black), ceiling to hearth all one color. Hearth, a flat finish dark granite.

Please Note: Looking for feedback!
When I removed the plaster wall I found a cubbyhole area (above firebox). Now I'm trying to incorporate into design. It might make a fine wood storage area but sort-of an odd place for it?
We want a modern clean lines look for whole wall.. having a hard time picturing how to make the wood storage area work. Any design, or functional idea would be very welcome.

BlakesDesk Porter:

I (and my welder) modified our 1962 Superior HeatForm Fireplace to accommodate a Hearthstone Clydesdale insert. I left most of the HeatForm in place because the steel was in good shape. What remains of the HeatForm provides an excellent heat shield for the Clydesdale, which by the way, has a considerable fire viewing area.

I suggest that you consider installing one of the many modern, high efficiency fireplaces in your new opening. If not that, then consider one of the inserts that have a modern - not traditional - look. I base my suggestion on energy efficiency and heat loss from the typical fireplace. You would gain considerable net plus heat from an energy efficient fireplace or insert. Or you many have enough space for a hearth stove.

Those Superior HeatForms were some beasts...

Good Luck to you..

New design idea...
Removing wall on right side, so fireplace is centered. Creating more open space in room.
Adding an 8" surround design, to warm-up or, add personal touch to "monolithic" "cold" "clean" modern tile look.

Attachments

• NewDesign2-email.jpg
    NewDesign2-email.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 421
  • NewDesign2-current.jpg
    NewDesign2-current.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 375
Status
Not open for further replies.