Old house new fire advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Almost a year has passed. i had some pretty scary health issues and a bunch of stress, but i took your advice and took down the chimney. i was not able to install a wood burning stove before winter but the plan is to do it before the fall this year. so i will be reading and trying to gather as much information as possible about the inside chimney pipe as well as outside, i think the stove will go in the middle of the wall in the 1st photo. ( i have reinforced underneath and will be using cement board and heat resistant bricks for the back wall and stove base ) which will put the flue 10ft from the ridge peak. i also included a couple of progress photos of what happened with the initial chimeny.
Anyway thank you to all again, and i will update as i go, i think we have picked a stove so just the chimney and installation i guess.

419371427_924820372451402_6212365228876022897_n.jpg 350889828_5956225287819490_7344882815511757563_n.jpg 384549157_1025632302195073_5784920769232037572_n.jpg 350773597_1629167867565995_2430363055599802829_n.jpg

Reactions: ozarkoak
That's qute a change, it brightens up the room a lot. Hope you are feeling a lot better now.
Update us on the plan. Will the flue now go straight up through the roof instead of outside? What stove was chosen?

Reactions: Usurper
Thanks yeah it’s a nice comfy room now. And my health has improved now I am looking after myself more. Correct the flue will go straight up ( more heat radiating out into the house ) then out through the cathedral ceiling , that part is still freaking me out thinking about doing it.
We have sort of decided on the stove below

IMG_6833.jpeg

I'd consider strongly consider a Drolet instead. It will operate with the lower draft strength on milder temp days.

We are not set in stone, but when we are ready it will probably be dictated by funds, the one above is very similar to the one in our old house which is why we were/are leaning that way. But I am happy to take on advice and maybe funds will allow more options when the time comes :)
It looks like around 8ft of chimney pipe in the living room to the ceiling, then not sure how much outside, so lots to budget for.

Reactions: kcmclellan
Yes, the flue system will likely cost more than the stove. That said, being in a warmer climate you'll want something that is a flexible burner. It's sometimes better to spend a bit more on something that will perform well. Century is a sibling of Drolet and Osburn. It's their budget line.

Cleveland Iron sells this stove under multiple names. It's also sold under the MasterForge label at big box stores. Read up on the review and postings.

Great progress! Looking forward to seeing the finished product. I agree with begreen, the drolets are a very economical choice (very reasonably priced for DIY'ers) and they are very easy breathers, which will help you with a shorter chimney, especially considering your warmer climate which can be hard on a stoves draft..... I've been running a Drolet Austral for about 10 years, and I still absolutely love it! Best of luck going forward.

Thanks all. I have time to plan. I will for sure do some research on the link thank you.
The chimney pipe inside the living room still baffles me. I think our old house was just double walled. And i do not think it was as expensive as the fire. It got very hot low but cool way before the ceiling box we never had an issue with draw, I think the chimney was around the same length overall. Around 7 ft to the attic where it went to triple and then out the roof. And above the ridge. I want to do this properly but funds are still heavily watched.

Oh and we were looking at the 2000sqft stoves as the living room is fairly large and open into the kitchen dining room which has bedrooms at either end. He hope that the stove may radiate enough heat to filter through to most rooms ( I admit I may very well be wrong in that thinking )

Thanks all. I have time to plan. I will for sure do some research on the link thank you.
The chimney pipe inside the living room still baffles me. I think our old house was just double walled. And i do not think it was as expensive as the fire. It got very hot low but cool way before the ceiling box we never had an issue with draw, I think the chimney was around the same length overall. Around 7 ft to the attic where it went to triple and then out the roof. And above the ridge. I want to do this properly but funds are still heavily watched.
The pipe in the house is stove pipe, not chimney pipe. Double-wall stove pipe is an option, it is not the same as double-wall chimney pipe. They are quite different. Is Menards in your area? The sell Selkirk chimney at a good price.

The pipe in the house is stove pipe, not chimney pipe. Double-wall stove pipe is an option, it is not the same as double-wall chimney pipe. They are quite different. Is Menards in your area? The sell Selkirk chimney at a good price.
See now I feel stupid haha. I am fairly sure the old pipe was from tractor supply. I do recall the triple wall chrome pipe being pretty expensive which we used in the attics and outside.
No menards in the state ( Alabama ) I will add Selkirk to the research list :)

Chimney and stove pipe prices took a big jump durning the pandemic and have not come down.

www.woodstovepro.com has fairly good pricing and they sell multiple brands. Sean there is a big help.

In addition to the 2’,10’ rule, with a steep pitch roof is paying attention to the winds. Sounds like if you are 10’ from the peak at your planned location, you will be slight above the peak depending on what length sections you buy anyway. So moot point.

I ordered all of my chimney through Lowes years ago. mine is a cathedral ceiling support kit which is probably what you'll need. Mine is close to the highest part of the ceiling near the ridge.

I ordered all of my chimney through Lowes years ago. mine is a cathedral ceiling support kit which is probably what you'll need. Mine is close to the highest part of the ceiling near the ridge.
That’s great I will probably check here when I am ready to order. Pretty sure the stove will go in the middle of the wall ( there’s a doorway under the highest point of the roof anyway and putting it the other end would mean less than 6ft of chimney inside and a huge amount outside above the roof. ) The living room is pretty big 36x13 so it taking up that end wall is not really an issue. And we can make a feature out of it and build some sort of frame for logs I guess :)

Reactions: kcmclellan
The more of the flue system that is indoors, the lower the expense. That's because stove pipe is less expensive than chimney pipe. Also, the less outdoor exposure the warmer the flue gases stay. This helps draft and can help keep the flue cleaner.