old jotul 118 draft issues.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oldjotul118

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
Hi. New to this so here it goes. Bought old jotul on craigslist and installed into existing flue. Vent comes of back of stove and immediately increases to a 6" tee. On top of tee there is no rise just a 6" 90 that goes into flue tile. I have about 24" of pipe then traveling horizontally inside of flue tile before hitting the vertical rise of 8x8 chimney. I'm having hard time getting stove to start and when running its smoking heavily. Using only 2x4 and oak from pallets so far,? Should I change tee to a 45? Plz help. Thx.

There are 3 90 degree turns within about 3 ft. That is going to be hard on draft, especially in milder weather. I think this stove can be changed to top exit by moving the top blank flue plug to the rear. If so that would eliminate one 90 deg turn (the tee). Also make sure the horiz section is pitched uphill toward the chimney by 1/4" per ft.

Last edited:
There are 3 90 degree turns within about 3 ft. That is going to be hard on draft, especially in milder weather. I think this stove can be changed to top exit by moving the top blank flue plug to the rear. If so that would eliminate one 90 deg turn (the tee). Also make sure the horiz section is pitched uphill toward the chimney by 1/4" per ft.
OK so I tried again and next time was a success. Got stove to 400 degrees and it burned well. Seems like problem was wet k.d. wood that I got from job site. Next question is with all these bends do I need a damper?? Or do the bends restrict flow enough already?? Thx

Also there is no way to make stove draft from top. I seem to have luck keeping coals near door. Is that common with this stove as it has only air opening in door.

Could also be that the chimney needed to be warmed up in order to draw properly. This stove is what they call a cigar burner. That is, it burns front to back.

The manual shows this stove with the top flue option. There should be a square plate at the top back of the stove.

Screen Shot 2014-10-07 at 8.11.49 AM.png

Right now it is venting out of the back of the stove. There is a plug on right side of stove. I have it centered on hearth of fireplace. The door is to the left. Just bought the house and we were lucky that mason put extra flue in for a wood stove. I read on another post that people put fans behind these to broadcast heat. Is that a good idea?? Also read about top down burn?? Can I do that on this type of stove. Thx for the info. Sorry for all the questions.

That diagram is of the newer unit. Mine is the pre ul listing days. I think it was made in 1976. Thx for your help
Yes, I see that now looking at the old manual. Top down burn is kind of pointless in this stove. You ignite it in the front and the draft pulls the flame through the wood to the rear, then back to the front around the baffle. What are you trying to accomplish with the fan? More heat or better distribution throughout the house?

Distribute heat. Stove located in 2 story addition. I'm installing ceiling fan on cathedral ceiling to keep heat from only riding up the stairs to second level. I plan on retro fitting furnace ducts so kitchen which is next to addition will become intake for furnace with the hope of pulling heated air thru blower and back out to main house. Didn't know if fan behind stove( which would be in firebox of fireplace that stove now blocks off) would help with that. Haven't run stove long enough to know if this is necessary. I know the new black bear is rated to heat up to 1800 sq '. My house is around 2000.

I would not bother with the duct work changes. The heat loss through the ductwork usually negates any gains unless the ductwork is fully sealed and well insulated including the returns. Also, a return is not allowed closer than 10 ft to the stove.

The stove is an area heater. It probably will not be able to keep up on very cold winter days. Don't be afraid to run the primary heating system as backup and to keep pipes from freezing in the basement.

Folks here have had good luck with blowing colder air toward the stove from an adjacent cool area. If you can post a sketch of the floor plan I may be able to offer a suggestion along that line.

Status
Not open for further replies.