VC Defiant 1975, 90deg vs 45deg elbows

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BBrock

Oct 16, 2022
New York
Hi all and thanks in advance, I recently purchased a VC Defiant Model 1975- CAT-C wood burring stove and have a few chimney related questions. I have an existing 8 x 8 masonry chimney with a 6.5 x 6.5 clay flue that was previously used with an old coal stove. Due to the size of the chimney and the added cost I was planning on going with 6" pipe and just using the 8" oval to 6" pipe adapter that comes directly out of the top of stove. The chimney is approx. 22' tall with only the top half being outside the house, the bottom half is in the garage.

I was originally instructed to go into the chimney using 6"pipe with a 90 degree elbow and then a tee in the chimney. I've been doing some research and am now reconsidering that and debating going with (2) 45 degree elbows instead. I figure that the (2) 45 degree elbow would help with draft and would make cleaning easier. Additionally I was looking to shorten the height of pipe which comes directly out of the stove but was unsure of any effects this would have on the draft. I attached a picture with the 2 options.

Any advice on the above would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

image002.png

I have the same stove as you. I currently have mine like the first image with two 90’s. What route did you end up going?