Old Kodiak Insert v.s. Newer Osburn Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dustin

Minister of Fire
Sep 3, 2008
Western Oregon
I have two stoves in the house. The main stove we use, is the newer "late 80's" model Osburn Insert upstairs. The stove we never really use is an OLD monster Kodiak insert downstairs. It's so old the air control are two knobs on the cast Iron doors.

I started using it again this weekend, and today, found something interesting.

First off, I'm obsessive when it comes to my smoke output. I'm noticing that the Osburn pumps out alot of smoke, with seasoned wood unless I burn it wide open. The Kodiak seems to put out hardley any, even "choked down" and it's supposed to be a smoke dragon.

I have been reading here about older stoves eating wood. Anyway, last night at about midnight I loaded up both stoves east west, let the wood get good and chared, shut the air down and went to bed. This morning I woke up to a pretty chilly upstairs and no coals in the Osburn.

I didn't go downstairs today until about a half hour ago, so 2:15 pm or so. I put my hand, with no glove on on top of the stove to wipe some dust off and OUCH! It was hot! It scared me, it had been about 13 hours since I loaded it up last. I opened the door and had a nice bed of coals. Tossed two splits on and we were off and burning again.

When in the world is my 1970's to earley 1980's old beast stove burning cleaner and longer then my newer one!?

The newer one is not EPA cert, but it has a nice glass door, and is just, well, newer.

I'm half tempted to stick the new stove in the garage, and haul the old beast upstairs and put it in the main living area.

Thoughts?

Dustin

Late 80's was not really the top time for newer stoves, as the EPA thing was just kicking in (1990).

There are also vast differences from one brand to another...and, more importantly, differences in wood capacity, chimney draft, etc.

Older stoves CAN burn clean when burned correctly, but at the same time I would have a hard time believing that the big insert will constantly burn that long without depositing vast quantities of tar and creosote in the chimney. Then again, maybe all the stars are aligned just right. Not every older stoves installations made a lot of smoke and creosote, but many (or most) did.

Status
Not open for further replies.