Old Lopi needs repair and ID - 1978...?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BlueLopi70

Oct 22, 2017
AZ, USA
Also I'm new to all of this, so thank you if you want to help my folks teach me the nuances of wood stoves [which way do I go for conversations about woodsplitting tools? We have an 8lb. short handled sledge and wedges, and I'm drooling at the Helko Vario heavy log splitter videos... and wondering how sustainable I could go with a wood collection permit- advice and anecdotes wanted!]. So here it is as it has gloriously stood in the house it has heated since the late 70s:

fireplace.jpg

I love those textured metal double doors. What's up with all the glass doors in newer models? It seems like an abrupt change, although it's been mentioned that the house's builder mentioned it being a new company. I'd like to know the model without removing the house from around it to see the back- you can see it's sticking into some nice heavy rock work. Good thermal mass there, right?

Anyway the puffy tail that Lopi has sprouted [lower right by the dustpan] is going to need patched up. Can we use both the replacement instructions [uhmmm] and another gasket from a 380 or M-520 or such with similar [but glass] doors? It's been a pleasure to operate it and I'm looking forward to seeing its full potential over winter.

Last edited by a moderator:
No glass doors on the very old models because there was no airwash. If there was glass it would be sooting up constantly.

The door gasket should be standard. Not sure the thickness, looks like 7/8" or 1". Definitely replace before burning. Is there a liner on the insert?The installation looks like it might be a slammer. That is, no liner and depending on the surround for a seal. If so, that's no longer legal.

No glass doors on the very old models because there was no airwash. If there was glass it would be sooting up constantly.

The door gasket should be standard. Not sure the thickness, looks like 7/8" or 1". Definitely replace before burning. Is there a liner on the insert?The installation looks like it might be a slammer. That is, no liner and depending on the surround for a seal. If so, that's no longer legal.

Thanks for the help! Yep, seems to have a brick liner.

Does the stove have a stainless steel liner on it. Or is it wide open off the top of the insert into the fireplace?

Still not clear. It sounds like there is no stainless steel liner connected to the stove. The question is whether this is a slammer that has no connection to the brick liner, or a direct connect - the insert has short stub of liner that goes up above the damper area where there is a block off plate installed.