Old Maple

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
This came down in the last storm, it was 70 when I went out(started cutting at 8:30am) when I came in after picking some leeks (11:45 am) it was 88.

I thought this would have more rotten wood, we'll have some nice warm fires from this. I would split it tomorrow but it looks like we'll get hit with the storm.

Attachments

• Old Maple
    100_7313-001.JPG
    308.5 KB · Views: 132
  • Old Maple
    100_7382.JPG
    174.3 KB · Views: 132
  • Old Maple
    100_7383.JPG
    245.6 KB · Views: 144
  • Old Maple
    100_7384.JPG
    276.2 KB · Views: 138
  • Old Maple
    100_7385.JPG
    195.9 KB · Views: 133
  • Old Maple
    100_7386.JPG
    285.9 KB · Views: 152
  • Old Maple
    100_7387.JPG
    227.7 KB · Views: 135
  • Old Maple
    100_7388.JPG
    304.8 KB · Views: 142
Nice huge one there and some nice wood. Heavy storms here too tomorrow. Im out any work until july, due to torn up arm

Reactions: zap
Nice huge one there and some nice wood. Heavy storms here too tomorrow. Im out any work until july, due to torn up arm
Sorry about your arm, I watched a vid on AccuWeather that had some of PA up to Watertown NY getting hit pretty good.

Stay Safe
Zap

Fellas, we're in the same path for tomorrow.......sucks. But, behind this next batch of storms, some more 'seasonable' weather. Not supposed to be out of the mid 70's and relatively mild humidity......

Suits me fine. I just hope the tree damage and tornados are at a minimum. Stay safe everyone...

Pic 7382 looks like the start of spalting. If you are getting in to woodturning, that should make for some fine turning blanks. I have some spalted maple that will be slabbed up and planed in a week or so for projects.

Reactions: PapaDave
Pic 7382 looks like the start of spalting. If you are getting in to woodturning, that should make for some fine turning blanks. I have some spalted maple that will be slabbed up and planed in a week or so for projects.
Not yet.

Now where talking wood!

Now where talking wood!
When I went picking leeks I took a look up the hill, more rootballs. I never went up but it looked like two or three good size Cherry with another Maple.

Once I open up the trail the leads to the top of that area, I'll have a better idea of what is down in that area. I'll be working on this storm damage well into next fall.

Reactions: smokinj
Yes sir Zap that will do you fine. I burnt a fair amount of maple this past winter and have quite a bit on deck for this winter.

For you fellas out east, I hope this peters out for you like it has for us. It was forecast to be bad today but so far only muggy. I see some building in IL and around Chicago and those might hit us later. Hopefully most of the energy will be burned off before it gets here but we don't even want rain.

They have been forcasting thunderstorms here for the last 2 days. Got a brief shower last night. Forcast says heavy rain tonight after 2 a.m. 90% chance but no t-storms......Guess we'll just wait and see what the Good Lord has in store.

Ill start another post.

Hope this weather passes through safely. I think there will be a lot more cutting zap.
WS, don't worry about jumping my thread. More cutting=more tick spray! I just wish some of those widowmakers would come down in these winds.

Looks like a pretty solid tree zap.
Sure to be good in a couple years.
I was very glad it was that solid, I hate losing those big trees but Mother Nature rules. Last summer all these storms went north or south of us, this year we've been hit twice with straight line winds.

LP, we have Beech all set for the next four or five years depending on how much we burn, so this will have time to season.

Sav, it rained real hard during the night but the brook was down so it should handle it. The storms might go east of us today, I'm hoping to get some splitting in.

Zap, you know your the president of the GIBIR club
Hope you get most of this stuff up and stacked
It looks like a GIBIR club t-shirt is needed.

Reactions: ScotO
We only have a few small trees folded over and branches down.
I need to get to my sis-in-law's to check for damage.:cool:
I would take that, lots of tricky cutting coming up. I'll concntrate on the easy downed Sugar Maple first.

I split some of the smaller and medium size rounds tonight, we still have the biggest rounds of this old maple left to split.

Attachments

• Old Maple
    100_7420.JPG
    202.2 KB · Views: 82
  • Old Maple
    100_7421.JPG
    170.3 KB · Views: 102
  • Old Maple
    100_7422.JPG
    205.4 KB · Views: 102
Good job Zap........I did the same. I'm working on white oak now. I'll be tackling some bigger ones tonight. One hour every night this week is my goal. Stack on Saturday
The GIBIR pres is on my azz ==c

Reactions: ScotO and zap
Status
Not open for further replies.