Old Mill stove needs new baffle plate. Can I do this myself?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Hi all, this is my first post. I was recommended here by numerous places.

I have an Old Mill wood stove that was in the house when we bought it 2 years ago. We've had many many fires in it, but there are two small holes in the baffle plate that are getting bigger. I believe I need to replace it, but I don't know where to find a new one, or how to get the old one out. It is not welded in place, but it seems like it might require a little elbow grease to remove. Any advice please, thank you!

(btw I'm replacing the bricks this week)

RD9sflZ.jpg S7zm4H5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Getting parts is dubious. This looks like it will need to be fabricated by a metal shop. It looks like once the firebricks are out it may be removable by pulling the bottom of the baffle towards you.

Last edited:
Thank you - Yes, it looks like I might be able to remove it by pulling down (and a little bending). If I can get this duplicated, will it still function the same without the warped bends in the middle? And what kind of metal are we talking about here? Thanks in advance.

It doesn't look like very heavy metal but I'd just be guessing at the gauge. Maybe 16ga cold rolled steel? Wonder if one made out of stainless steel would be better? It's not sophisticated, so it might be worth coming up with a simpler, stouter design.

Reactions: KiloWatts
Thanks - I took your advice. Just got back from the fabrication shop. He duplicated the baffle plate and it fits perfectly! All in all I've given this stove the full treatment: New glass, new bricks, new gaskets, and a new baffle. Only thing left would be paint I suppose. Here's to another 30 years of warmth.

Attachments

• IMG_20181121_162536.jpg
    IMG_20181121_162536.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 641
  • IMG_20181121_162546.jpg
    IMG_20181121_162546.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 473
  • IMG_20181121_164250.jpg
    IMG_20181121_164250.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 555
Reactions: begreen
Yes, nicely done.