Old non-cat BK vs new BK

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdscj8

Feb 19, 2009
Eastern,Nebraska
Whats your opinions between old BK'S and new BK'S, What do you like or dislike about one or the other. I know there are some of you out there that have had both. I know between the 2 I have, I love the longer burn times, being able to turn it down more in the shoulder season, and the glass door on our new king parlor, but the old non-cat we have had for ever puts out more heat and keeps the house warmer when it gets real cold out, so i have more likes about the new stove but when it comes to all in all more heat and i like heat i miss having the old stove in the house. Remember we have a old farm house with no insulation 160+ yr old windows and doors. The past week temps have been between 0 and -10 without wind chills and the wind has been blowing like crazy. JD

No BK here, but we do have an old farm house totally exposed to the north. To tell the truth, I like a well sealed house and insulation better. :)

I was surprised that your new BK will not throw as much heat. My old BK throws some good heat for my drafty residence. A big improvement from my Montgomery Wards non air tight stove I used to have. Yesterday I was gone for 13 hours and even with the cold temps I still had a handful of coals with Chinese Elm and the temp inside was still 57 deg. I didn't even fill the stove up that morning since I thought I would be home for lunch. At some point I want to get a BK cat, either new or used older model. I would of bought a new one this Fall if we had a dealer in the area or a dealer in the state that had a good price. I'm eager to hear from others who have had both cat and non cat models.

Just replace a 1982 BK with a new 2009 model with a cat. ke1107
After a learning cure for operation, the new BK is much nicer.
(should be with 27 years of improvements)'
About equal in heat output but the new one puts the heat out for a longer time with less wood.
I notice the chimney pipe is cleaner, no noticable cresote so far.
The new blower has more noise on "high" & don't move the heat as far accross the room. (but a total different external blower system)
I really like the glass door & my wife loves it, I think she's warmer when she can see the fire :)
I don't use the ash drawer, so for me that feature don't heat my beans.
Time will tell, but for heat output to heat the whole house from the basement, it does a great job at Zero out side & 70 + inside. even through the night.
I burn on the high side of the medium setting & get 10 to 12 hours per load.
When the cat kicks in, it get the stove hot quickly & keeps it there for a long time.
12" from the glass door is as close as we get & really feel the heat.
I even think it looks good but that's with the galss door.

The insulation will come this spring, new windows, siding and insulation will be put in at that time, but for now we have what we have and we like a big heat stove. Don't get me wrong this new stove throws off some major heat, but we can tell a difference between the two, the old heats up quicker and keeps it warmer but does not have a t-stat like the others so i'm sure that makes a big diference. I'm burning oak walnut mulbury and ash mix, with it this cold -14 last night my new stove got 16-18 hrs burn time and about 28 hours (the longest i've let it go with out refilling it) with good coals to restart with and still alittle heat comin off it with the stove 1/2 to 3/4's filled with wood. The old i was getting 8-10 hrs filled all the up of burning and 12-14 hrs with good coals and very little heat, now its in my shop i'm getting alittle less times cause its cranked up alot more. And i hear ya about finding a good price, it took me awhile shoppin around to buy mine. Don't get me wrong i love this new stove just wondering what others thought. And yes the blower on my parlor is louder then the old 70's model hows that? JD

Status
Not open for further replies.