old Oak is awesome.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

guest5234

Me and the neighbour cut down an old oak tree that was at least 300 years old as it had gone as dry as a Nun's gusset.....it was as white as snow as we split it and by does it burn like hell...old oak is hellfire.

Yes it is good score!

Pagey said:
300 years, wow! Any chance we'll get some pics? :)

Its up the barn we use, but will post a picture of the next ancient oak that has died when I go up next.
We have to get a certificate to cut down any old trees and the officer from our area gave us the go ahead as the trees were dead and told us some of the oaks were 300 years of age.

Neil said:
Pagey said:
300 years, wow! Any chance we'll get some pics? :)

Its up the barn we use, but will post a picture of the next ancient oak that has died when I go up next.
We have to get a certificate to cut down any old trees and the officer from our area gave us the go ahead as the trees were dead and told us some of the oaks were 300 years of age.

Yes, pictures would be nice, but I would prefer it if you shipped a cord or two to New England. %-P

Burning a 300 year old oak is a crime - you should be making lumber outa that puppy and burning the scraps, unless it was all rot & knots. This is one of my biggest dilemmas when I come on something like that. I'm always pulling certain pieces out of the firewood pile and putting them aside for woodworking

JerseyWreckDiver said:
Burning a 300 year old oak is a crime - you should be making lumber outa that puppy and burning the scraps, unless it was all rot & knots. This is one of my biggest dilemmas when I come on something like that. I'm always pulling certain pieces out of the firewood pile and putting them aside for woodworking

I have none of that guilt burning pine :coolsmile:

JerseyWreckDiver said:

I aint no good at making a fruit-bowl outa wood.

thats funny, because i am the opposite. I see nice things around the house, like our maple cabinets, my wifes oak hutch, etc and think of how well they would burn...

It's at least worth considering saving old growth like that for the mill as the grain patterns are really beautiful when they get that old. if it's not rotten in the center the board lengths that could be gotten out of the main trunk could be worth a great deal to a furniture maker or mill.

Status
Not open for further replies.