Old school

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jcapler

Jan 5, 2016
Nebraska
I have a nasty itch to find an old wood cook stove and make it a winter project. Not exactly sure why for I just love the look of them and want to do it. The wife said I was crazy but sometimes you can't explain an itch. Anyway I am not sure if this has a forum out there but anyone care to share a picture of their wood cooking stoves. I need to feed my itch. [emoji6]

Woodpro WS-TS-2000

Reactions: RandyBoBandy
I have a nasty itch to find an old wood cook stove and make it a winter project. Not exactly sure why for I just love the look of them and want to do it. The wife said I was crazy but sometimes you can't explain an itch. Anyway I am not sure if this has a forum out there but anyone care to share a picture of their wood cooking stoves. I need to feed my itch. [emoji6]

Woodpro WS-TS-2000

No photos but I still remember, as a small child with eyes wide, full of awe and wonder, when my grandma would stoke the small firebox on her wood range in her kitchen in prep for a hot meal. It was the only range she had and she never felt the need to replace it. My parents thought she was old fashioned.

But I knew she was cool!

Reactions: jcapler and bcrtops
Yes! My grandmother lived in Hot Springs, South Dakota. She had a wood cook stove. She lived in the town and had electricity, and a forced air central furnace.
She loved to cook and said you got better, more even heat from the wood stove.
She would cook donuts, fried in oil, and hotdogs "pig in a blanket" all made from home made yeast dough. She cooked all the time on that old wood cook stove.
My sister in Atlanta now has that stove, but she doesn't use it.

IMG_0265.JPG
Not yet finished, but it's our brand new wood cooker

Reactions: Joyboy and Blazing
This is what my Grandmother's wood cookstove looked like (except hers was in the kitchen with counters on each side):

wood-burning-cook-stove-2250-americanlisted_36228521.jpg

Reactions: jcapler
Beautiful stove Woody! We would have bought a similar one, but it didn't have the boiler. Ours is for primary heating, while cooking some meals of course...

I Inherited a Sweetheart Cook Stove when i bought the house. It could do with a bit of TLC but still very nice and keeps 1/2 the house warm in winter.

cook stove.JPG

Reactions: Blazing and jcapler
I'm envious Auzzie...

They are pretty cool - but i wouldn't be able to use just the wood oven - its ok for weekend use but when you have kids who want food now you cant beat a switch. They do have some with Catalytic afterburners which give a 12 hour burn time. This would mean you could actually use it everyday.

upload_2017-7-31_13-8-22.png Esse oven.jpg

upload_2017-7-31_13-8-22.png

They are pretty cool - but i wouldn't be able to use just the wood oven - its ok for weekend use but when you have kids who want food now you cant beat a switch. They do have some with Catalytic afterburners which give a 12 hour burn time. This would mean you could actually use it everyday.

View attachment 198886 View attachment 198887

View attachment 198886
I installed and service an esse like that one and i can tell you it is a fantastic cook stove but no way you are going to get 12 hrs out of it.

Did it have the Cats? i thought it was a bit ambitious but you never know. Also i assume it depends what they mean by 12 hours as in start point to end point.....

not sure if you sell these bad boys but i couldn't believe the price... yes that's the current price starting at $12,900 (US$10,500)

upload_2017-7-31_13-50-6.png

Did it have the Cats? i thought it was a bit ambitious but you never know. Also i assume it depends what they mean by 12 hours as in start point to end point.....
Yes it did. And a tiny firebox. And yes that proce is about what they paid. But they bought it in england and had it shipped to the us so over all it was more.

Late to the party but I missed the post. We cook on a 1929 Great Majestic. You have to know how to clean them and they are lined with asbestos board which can be left undisturbed if solid or properly removed, handled and disposed of and kiln/reactor insulation can be used to replace it. I bake our bread weekly so here is a snap from last Monday. The firebox door is open just for the picture. It isn't a great image of the whole range but....
image.jpeg

17EC696F-DDCB-425C-8EEB-2A87CDB3222A.jpeg
This is in our kitchen. It's a little dusty right now. Have not used it yet this winter.

Reactions: Squisher and Piney
I looked into Esse's over the summer, there new cook stoves look fantastic, and the company made them more user friendly with cleaning them, removable heat plates, window covers so you don't burn your legs, good venting. If I was going to buy a cook stove I would stick with esse company

Reactions: Joyboy and Piney
I looked into Esse's over the summer, there new cook stoves look fantastic, and the company made them more user friendly with cleaning them, removable heat plates, window covers so you don't burn your legs, good venting. If I was going to buy a cook stove I would stick with esse company
Yes. My neighbour has a new Amish made stove at her ranch. She is impressed that the smoke rolls around the oven, when asked to, in the opposite direction (or something) than was done traditionally and it improves the performance. The new ranges are improved. No doubt about it.

Reactions: Squisher
I've got a real soft spot for old wood cook stoves. It's all we had up until I was about five years old. cool pics everyone.

Reactions: Piney
Yes. My neighbour has a new Amish made stove at her ranch. She is impressed that the smoke rolls around the oven, when asked to, in the opposite direction (or something) than was done traditionally and it improves the performance. The new ranges are improved. No doubt about it.

I Service one of these, pioneer I think? And the owner is very happy with it as well. I've found it a little difficult to clean right out. But when I was told that the first fire she had after the last cleaning resulted in a chimney fire right near the base of the connecting pipe I knew what had happened and was making damn certain there wouldn't be a repeat.

Woodpro WS-TS-2000
I've been wanting a wood fired cook stove in my house for a long time. They are such beautiful stoves. Wife isn't to excited about it. Not sure how practical it is in the summer months.

I have to admit . . . having had some baked goods cooked in my Amish neighbor's wood-fired cookstove, there is nothing quite like it in terms of taste . . . of course that could be just the really good Amish cooking and recipes as well.

I've been wanting a wood fired cook stove in my house for a long time. They are such beautiful stoves. Wife isn't to excited about it. Not sure how practical it is in the summer months.
It's hot! It helps to have huge screened windows and high ceilings. That said, we have a second range that, for years, my wife has been wanting installed outside in an 'outdoor kitchen'. I'll get it done eventually. I built the deck part. The nearest neighbour is a mile away and across a river so we can do this stuff without getting anyone upset about smoke or noise.

Reactions: RandyBoBandy