Old splitter needing motor replacement.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rippinryno

Feeling the Heat
Nov 23, 2015
united states
I've got an 8hp briggs that just crapped on me. I'm able to find some replacements locally but the problem im' having is the shaft on them is shorter than the shaft on mine. I'm trying to determine the best and longest lasting route to go. My lovejoy is seized up on the motor shaft so i'm gonna buy the other side of that. The pump still has the lovejoy and spider on it, and i imagine it's seized as well so i'm not planning to remove it. The harbor freight 8hp is an option because it's a 1" shaft, but i'm not certain on the length of it. Another option is to run one of these 8hp briggs i found on craiglists, and get a shorter mount, what do you guys think is the best optino.

this shaft is roughly 3-3/4" off the crank case. If i could find one longer that would not be a problem, however the ones i'm seeing are just above 2" and that make it a problem for my mount.

https://goo.gl/photos/fjQexYGkC8wH4Vxw9

The HF manuals are online. Go to the tab on their website "User manual and quickstart guide". Click the manual PDF.

Page 23
http://manuals.harborfreight.com/manuals/61000-61999/61415.pdf

upload_2017-2-27_9-33-18.png

I don't know if you have gotten situated yet, but I have run a 6.5 hp HF motor on my snowblower to replace the 8hp Tecumseh that broke a connecting rod. The 6.5 hp HF motor easily outperformed the older 8hp motor. To get around the 1" shaft issue I used an adapter bushing to bring the 3/4" shaft up to 1". The reason I bring this up is because the 6.5hp engine can be had for $99, while the 8hp version goes for more than twice that at $240 or so. You can get an adapter bushing for about $20. You would be at half price. That is assuming that's enough power for your splitter and the shaft height matches. The Briggs motor on my 22 ton splitter is 208cc I believe. The 6.5hp predator from HF is 212cc. Best of luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would then need a new bracket to mount the pump. I'm all for doing the 6.5 but the mounting holes on the engine are a small square pattern and mine mounts different on the briggs

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

i'm now wondering if I should just reinvent the wheel and just get a pump and bracket kit as well as a harbor freight 6.5hp. May cost me around $250 total but basically the entire splitter would be new. Any suggestions on pump and bracket kits that will go onto a harbor freight 6.5?