Old stove, Older house

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pilfro

Nov 8, 2012
Hello Im new to wood stoves,

We bought a small (1700')1890s farmhouse back in April which had a fireplace and wood stove using the same flu, we couldn't insure it with both and the previous owners ran insert from wood stove out bypassing fireplace. We weren't sure how often we would use the wood stove, but after heating the whole house through a NorEaster this week we have become obsessed with getting more wood!

I'm trying to learn as much as I can about the stove. It seems to eat wood pretty quickly. The stove is a Vigilant bought in 1982, anyone have any advice on how to keep wood burning longer but remain hot? Right now if its running between 500-600 it seems to heat the house very well. Wood is seasoned and dry. It has a damper, but I haven't really noticed the stove getting hotter with it closed. Im also not sure on how much wood I should be burning at once, not sure if there is any safety issues with adding too much wood so my fires might be a little on the small side.

Last night with the lights off I noticed a small opening where the pipe connects to the collar on the back side, maybe enough to fit three pieces of paper in. Have CO2 near stove not sure if I need to seal this off.

Available somewhere on this site is a link to owner's manuals for older Vig.s. It is very informative, and should answer all these questions and more. You'll find many have experience w/these guys, and they can be great heaters, but may need some attention. Happy heating!

PM me your email address. I have a Vig manual.

The temperature will drop when you close the damper, but your wood will get a longer burn that should make up for the lower heat. How much of a temperature drop are you seeing? It should stay in the mid 400s at least.

The temperature will drop when you close the damper, but your wood will get a longer burn that should make up for the lower heat. How much of a temperature drop are you seeing? It should stay in the mid 400s at least.
That's interesting that you mention that. That might explain some of the extreme build up you were having with the stove. With the damper closed I could maintain 600+ degrees on the stove top. On colder days I would even close the pipe damper and maintain high temps in the 650-750 range.

That chimney is only 18' in height. It currently is the home to the 30.

Reactions: remkel
That's interesting that you mention that. That might explain some of the extreme build up you were having with the stove. With the damper closed I could maintain 600+ degrees on the stove top. On colder days I would even close the pipe damper and maintain high temps in the 650-750 range.

That chimney is only 18' in height. It currently is the home to the 30.
Could be......I prefer to block that year, and last year, from my mind :) knock on wood all is well this year so far

Status
Not open for further replies.