Old Stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

toastiewarm

Hearth Supporter
Feb 9, 2010
USA
Hi Groups,

I am a newbee to wood stoves but I have a operational (safety) question. I have an old Hearthmate Stove (rough dimensions are 28x16) with smaller glass windows in the front on each of the two swing open doors. It is a front loader with a grate and an ash pan on the bottom that pulls out. My question is about the baffle or deflector plate up inside at the top of the stove. It is the metal plate that run along the length of the top of the stove that serves to divert heat and smoke up and out to the six inch diameter hole (exhaust). That metal plate has a hole in it from something, maybe overheat. The stove works fine with the hole there, but my local (fireman) inspector says the stove does not pass his muster. I told him it works fine but he continues to state I should contact Hearth. I asked him for the fire code that spells it all out for me. Anyone have an idea of what can be done about the hole or if it even an issue to bother with? Thanks folks,
toastiewarm

toastiewarm said:
Hi Groups,

I am a newbee to wood stoves but I have a operational (safety) question. I have an old Hearthmate Stove (rough dimensions are 28x16) with smaller glass windows in the front on each of the two swing open doors. It is a front loader with a grate and an ash pan on the bottom that pulls out. My question is about the baffle or deflector plate up inside at the top of the stove. It is the metal plate that run along the length of the top of the stove that serves to divert heat and smoke up and out to the six inch diameter hole (exhaust). That metal plate has a hole in it from something, maybe overheat. The stove works fine with the hole there, but my local (fireman) inspector says the stove does not pass his muster. I told him it works fine but he continues to state I should contact Hearth. I asked him for the fire code that spells it all out for me. Anyone have an idea of what can be done about the hole or if it even an issue to bother with? Thanks folks,
toastiewarm

the baffle is probably replaceable, you may need to have one fabricated if hearthmate is no longer able to service your stove.. I think they are out of buisness..

On the code, the local guy has jurisdiction, period. No matter what the code says. If he approves or disapproves, the codes are designed to be.. interpreted.

thanks...the local gal said i could patch the baffle hole instead of welding the plate...If it not safe then I would not want to use it. I asked for fire code documents so we could go over interpretation, as it appears that someone just wants to cover their own butt. What is the baffle designed to do in the first place and how does a hole mean a problem? Thank you,
toastiewarm

Local rules do ineed apply. You may want to ask him where in the NFPA211 it states a hole in a baffle renders something illegal. You may prove your point and win the skirmish, but you may also have the local fireman/inspector try to make sure you lose the war. You could probably ask him if he would be happy with a welded plate.

Thank you...I will try the welded plate approach. The inspector has a history of being a dink so I need to watch what I say.

toastiewarm said:
thanks...the local gal said i could patch the baffle hole instead of welding the plate...If it not safe then I would not want to use it. I asked for fire code documents so we could go over interpretation, as it appears that someone just wants to cover their own butt. What is the baffle designed to do in the first place and how does a hole mean a problem? Thank you,
toastiewarm

Not sure about your stove, but most are designed to alter the flame path in order to keep the heat in the stove longer and to increase the thoroughness of the burn of combustion gases.

My old stove burned a hole in the top baffle after about 20 years of 24/7 burning. I dropped a few thicknesses of 1/4" steel plate over the hole and ran it that way all last year, but the stove is outside collecting rust now.

A hole means that flames are going through it, and that means it will get much worse rather quickly. Get the hole patched if the baffle is steel, or get a new one fabricated of heavy steel if the current one is cast (cast can't easily be welded). You could also anchor a few pieces of heavy steel plate on either side of the hole with machine bolts and washers. Or you could get a new stove, which is what I did.

For most of those older stoves, any welding/fab shop can whip up a new baffle in short order and usually for short bucks. Something to consider if you are going to remove it to have it welded.

:coolsmile: Thanks for the ideas. The local fire inspector continues to bust my balls about it. Man.....job security I guess!

okay, lastly NFPA211 says something about the deterioration of the liner. That's a part of the chimney correct?? Or is the baffle part of the liner?? My baffle's got a hole in it!! Let's ask Norton...he might know. Norton??

Status
Not open for further replies.