old style tripple wall galv chimney??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeyny

Feeling the Heat
Nov 16, 2007
upstate ny
We moved to a new house ( well, new to us) and of course we brought the old Tarm with us but don't have time to hook it up this yr. There is a working wood stove in the living rm. It is an old Scandia. (good enough for now I guess). The chimney consists of the usual black stove pipe going up to a transition at the ceiling to an older tripple wall galvanized pipe up thru the roof. It seems to be ok and it was pretty clean before I cleaned it. The question is, is it still an acceptable chimney? I have the 7 inch metalbestos chimney from the tarm I could put in but the wood stove is 8 inch. Is it ok to transition over to the 7? Should i do the transition at the top of the stove or at the ceiling transition. It is a cathedral ceiling about 16 ft high. Thanks for any info.

all I can say is my father-in-law is still using the old triple wall chimney and it is still doing good for him. If you cleaned it and it looks good then I would use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.