Older Morso 2B bricks/liner?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

erniegen2

Oct 18, 2020
New York
I just got an older Morso 2B. Should it have brick lining or plates in it? It has just a horizontal baffle inside at the top and the small hanging smoke valve flap just inside the top of the door. Also does anyone have a diagram or manual for this? Or any tips or experience with this stove. Thanks.
morso2B-1.jpgmorso2B-2.jpgmorso2B-3.jpg

The modern one has side plates, but I don't know about the old unit. Seems like it would. You could try asking the folks at https://hearthlink.com/ for assistance and info. Also, try calling woodmans. https://www.woodmanspartsplus.com/
The stove will need to be on a proper hearth that extends at least 8" from the sides and back and 16" in front and should be insulated to R-1.19. As an unlisted stove it will need 36" from the walls, side and back unless there is a proper wall shield in place. Before burning, put an inch of play sand in the bottom or an inch of wood ash.

I have a 2b of that vintage too. I have an original manual I can upload if you want it. The baffles are hard to get I think I ordered mine from Woodman's. I had to use a two piece baffle that goes to a newer version but it fits well.

Reactions: begreen
Figured Id reply here in case anyone else needs the answer. Im mid process on fully restoring an older 2bo. And when I got it, as most of them come, no bricks inside, nothing on the bottom. Took quite awhile before I got ahold of the right morso guy, but my local Hearth store got me in touch with the right guy. So, there are side bricks for this model and back bricks. (If you want I can post the morso part numbers when I get back to the shop tomorrow). You need 4 side bricks and 1 back brick, Morso still makes them all. As for the bottom, which took alot to find out. There is a bottom burn plate that is raised about .5” its cast iron. Morso also still makes it, if you can get a rep that knows what they are looking for. And also same with woodsmanpartsplus. Ill save you the effort, here is the link(this unfortunately is not linked from the actual 2bo parts page, I had a rep find this and email it too me)-

https://www.woodmanspartsplus.com/product.aspx?p_id=637374

Next step was getting the bottom plate to fit with the bricks. Took about an hour of grinding the bottom plate on the edges that were too far to get the bricks to slide down on both sides. (Took prolly up took 1/4in to3/8in off part of the sides with angle grinder w grinding wheel)
I used a marker to mark the edges of the plate that needed to be taken down and did one area at a time, check for fit, then keep adjusting.

So yea, it is set and perfect now, all bricks and bottom liner. Will take some pics tomorrow to add to show you.

Attachments

• AA4281BF-0F23-4AE1-9BC7-97B3F89E6C23.jpeg
    AA4281BF-0F23-4AE1-9BC7-97B3F89E6C23.jpeg
    167.1 KB · Views: 538
  • 33A3403A-31E0-43C9-8A60-E9A00F44C05F.jpeg
    33A3403A-31E0-43C9-8A60-E9A00F44C05F.jpeg
    167.1 KB · Views: 652
Is that a catalyst in the flue collar in the back right of the stove?

Reactions: D. Hermit
Is that a catalyst in the flue collar in the back right of the stove?
Haha Yea BG, I have a problem with doing a single project at a time. That is a cat in a flue collar for one of my 24” cat Elms that I have to really get going on.
Restoring one in a couple weeks so I started getting it broke down a bit today.

Last edited:
Ok, part numbers-
Side bricks-4 needed- nr. 790932
Back brick didnt come in cardboard w number but here are pictures as well. And picture of bottom liner(link in earlier comments)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 568
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 558
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 543
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 561
Those pics look like baffles, old ones?
It does look pretty much the same as the baffle, except the baffle is bent upwards from the back of the firebox. This is flat metal with small footers to give it an .5 inch of space between the plate and the bottom of the firebox, for extra insulation of the bottom.

It does look pretty much the same as the baffle, except the baffle is bent upwards from the back of the firebox. This is flat metal with small footers to give it an .5 inch of space between the plate and the bottom of the firebox, for extra insulation of the bottom.
The extra space that lifts it up also helps to secure the bricks to the sides so they dont tip in the fire.

My old 1977 manual says to put an inch of sand/and it ash and refractory to insulate the bottom of the stove. Do you know if that's in addition to the bottom plate or if it was in place of it? Maybe an older manual?

My old 1977 manual says to put an inch of sand/and it ash and refractory to insulate the bottom of the stove. Do you know if that's in addition to the bottom plate or if it was in place of it? Maybe an older manual?
Jotul makes the same recommendation for the older F602 which has a similar bottom plate with an insulation layer under it. I think Lange did too.

I think its a recommendation they made later. Either way, here is what the final set up will look like after everything is fitted. Back brick, 4 side bricks, 1 bottom plate.

Attachments

• DE3FA233-BAF6-4DA6-A8F8-80FEA04B1BF0.jpeg
    DE3FA233-BAF6-4DA6-A8F8-80FEA04B1BF0.jpeg
    135.3 KB · Views: 538
  • 0F7B987B-16FA-4190-8112-FE9DC99A8034.jpeg
    0F7B987B-16FA-4190-8112-FE9DC99A8034.jpeg
    130.7 KB · Views: 625
I'm surprised the baffle doesn't fit more tightly to the sides or side bricks. It looks like some flame is going to take a shorter path there.

I'm surprised the baffle doesn't fit more tightly to the sides or side bricks. It looks like some flame is going to take a shorter path there.
Agreed. But the flame path on these 2bo’s are so weird anyway I doubt it will make much if a difference.

Agreed. But the flame path on these 2bo’s are so weird anyway I doubt it will make much if a difference.
How so? It looks similar to that era Lange and Jotul which are normal cigar burn box stoves. I think I would at least fill the side gaps with kaowool so that the flame has to come to the front and wrap around the baffle.

Saying weird because it goes like this, and travels in front , and some (according to the manual) doubles back the front and goes back down and up the back of the exchanger. But agreed, I could fill the gaps with wool.

Attachments

• BF660481-CEE1-4764-8F95-991A3BEE0204.jpeg
    BF660481-CEE1-4764-8F95-991A3BEE0204.jpeg
    89.9 KB · Views: 625
That makes sense. I didn't realize that this one has the heat exchanger top. I was thinking the basic flat top.

The Morso manual for older stoves is now loaded to the Wiki as a single PDF file here:

Thanks Qvist!

The 2BO was my first stove. Old Charlie Wilson across the river in Bucks County convinced me. Way too small. or me wanting more. Went thru baffles like crazy, never an issue with the floor or sides(they glowed at times). Still have one in my shed I haven't fired up for about 6 years

Alright guys, sorry for the wait, had to make 12" J Bolts too put the exchanger back together, plus, I kept finding stoves to buy. lol. But, I finished her all up today and she looks amazing. All with proper bricks and bottom burn plate. And I got too play with my new re-threading kit tofu up the draft control without having to drill it out and re thread out bigger. CD235A9D-28B2-4310-B672-E7A25C75E09B.jpeg539C085A-6D10-4DCC-AD9F-BE4EDDE10000.jpeg703B0F45-0DC1-4BFD-A1A9-ED89248A929A.jpeg4DA7EFC3-BAEA-45A8-A203-CB537F946B28.jpeg77F50E11-FD7F-417F-AC83-419617822958.jpeg4CEB70B7-EEA6-4507-8D06-912960614E42.jpegFDC02BF3-EFA8-4489-849D-7F67867B49FB.jpeg16DEDB55-695D-44F0-A698-5EF99A156D86.jpegNot sure if I want to part with it after all the work I put into it!

Reactions: begreen
Figured Id reply here in case anyone else needs the answer. Im mid process on fully restoring an older 2bo. And when I got it, as most of them come, no bricks inside, nothing on the bottom. Took quite awhile before I got ahold of the right morso guy, but my local Hearth store got me in touch with the right guy. So, there are side bricks for this model and back bricks. (If you want I can post the morso part numbers when I get back to the shop tomorrow). You need 4 side bricks and 1 back brick, Morso still makes them all. As for the bottom, which took alot to find out. There is a bottom burn plate that is raised about .5” its cast iron. Morso also still makes it, if you can get a rep that knows what they are looking for. And also same with woodsmanpartsplus. Ill save you the effort, here is the link(this unfortunately is not linked from the actual 2bo parts page, I had a rep find this and email it too me)-

https://www.woodmanspartsplus.com/product.aspx?p_id=637374

Next step was getting the bottom plate to fit with the bricks. Took about an hour of grinding the bottom plate on the edges that were too far to get the bricks to slide down on both sides. (Took prolly up took 1/4in to3/8in off part of the sides with angle grinder w grinding wheel)
I used a marker to mark the edges of the plate that needed to be taken down and did one area at a time, check for fit, then keep adjusting.

So yea, it is set and perfect now, all bricks and bottom liner. Will take some pics tomorrow to add to show you.
Thanks so much on the info about the Morso 2b firebrick. I’m about to start a similar restoration. I just bought the bottom cast piece you linked to, but Im having trouble finding the side and back firebrick for sale anywhere online. Is there anywhere specifically that you recommend? And if through Morso directly, what is the best way to order those? I didn’t see it on their site anywhere.

update: I found this set on Woodman’s though it has a different model number: https://www.woodmanspartsplus.com/product.aspx?p_id=797996

Last edited: