Olympia insulated wall thimble cutting inner pipe length?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

94SS

Dec 29, 2021
Lincoln, Nebraska
I don’t see a spec for inner pipe length. How do you decide which length to cut the inner pipe? 6 optional lengths the pipe can be cut at.

400DCF01-7DBD-465D-83AE-7B79BF7D6714.jpeg 27DB8F55-E30C-49D8-9D82-EE065F8DEE9B.jpeg

That's a good improvement.

I have the same question - how does one decide the length to cut off the inner pipe at? I need to pass a tee snout through that inner pipe, it attaches to a flex liner on the chimney side and to single-wall pipe on the stove side. Thanks for any help you can give!
The inner pipe should be the snout

The inner pipe should be the snout
Whoa! As I understand it, inner pipe supplied with the thimble is insulated (according to the installation instructions, attached here) and there is no way to connect that inner pipe directly to the tee which is attached to the flex liner. So I'm thinking I need to attach the (uninsulated) snout to the tee and run it though the (insulated) inner pipe supplied with the thimble. But I don't know where to cut off that inner pipe on the stove side of the thimble.

Attachments

• insulated-wall-thimble-instructions.pdf
    896.1 KB · Views: 63
Whoa! As I understand it, inner pipe supplied with the thimble is insulated (according to the installation instructions, attached here) and there is no way to connect that inner pipe directly to the tee which is attached to the flex liner. So I'm thinking I need to attach the (uninsulated) snout to the tee and run it though the (insulated) inner pipe supplied with the thimble. But I don't know where to cut off that inner pipe on the stove side of the thimble.
Is this a ventis thimble?

Is this a ventis thimble?
No, it's the Olympia thimble that I attached the installation instructions for. Maybe I need to see it to understand how it goes together (it's on order). I ordered it with an option to connect to a tee and it's supposed to come with a long (22") snout.

Ventis and Olympia are the same thing. They have an insulated shell that you attach to the outer wall of the chimney. That is cut to length so it extends about 3" into the room. Then there is an inner stainless sleeve which is either a tee snout or a straight price of stainless pipe depending on whether you ordered one for a ss liner or one for a masonry liner. That is cut to the length required so it extends past the insulated part enough to attach your pipe.

Ventis and Olympia are the same thing. They have an insulated shell that you attach to the outer wall of the chimney. That is cut to length so it extends about 3" into the room. Then there is an inner stainless sleeve which is either a tee snout or a straight price of stainless pipe depending on whether you ordered one for a ss liner or one for a masonry liner. That is cut to the length required so it extends past the insulated part enough to attach your pipe.
got it! thanks so much for your help.

got it! thanks so much for your help.
I used all the stainless ridged section. I would have cut it down based upon the length I needed to attach to the pipes from the stove. If it cosmetically bothered me I would have cut it shorter too. Minimum length of the thimble is 8 inches off the wall not the 5 inches it’s advertised.

7E4557EB-D8DD-4302-8E72-8EA3E3E0E412.jpeg