OMG WHAT IS THIS....HELP

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

[email protected]

Feb 4, 2009
hopefully pics come through, i am thinking of buying this stove. what is it.......does anyone know how this bad boy runs......

Attachments

• wood.jpg
    wood.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 1,207
  • wood1.jpg
    wood1.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 1,208
  • wood2.jpg
    wood2.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 1,208
It's a beaut, but definitely not EPA. Can you find any type of branding anywhere on it?

No Markings or numbers on it, no name, nothing, guys owned and operated it for over 30 years. whats epa and how bad is the fine? i want this stove

If the price is right... But an EPA unit will eat through a lot less wood while producing equal heat. Sure won't look like that, though...

Stick around, some expert might have a clue as to the origins of this beauty.

birdladiusa said:
No Markings or numbers on it, no name, nothing, guys owned and operated it for over 30 years. whats epa and how bad is the fine? i want this stove

"Whats EPA?" Thats funny :)

I'll be quiet now.

don't know the make, or who makes it, I actually have to get the code enforcer out here to put this in, i got one already? man this is a headache, but worth it. I don't know what it is or a book. HELP

Can we assume Sebago is in the USA?

That stove is illegal to buy, sell, or install in my state. Lame eh? Unless sold as scrap.

You said you want it, so buy it. Maybe you use it as an antique to just look at or maybe you burn it outside as a chimnea or BBQ. Lots of people buy stuff and put it on the wall for art.

It's an attractive stove and it wouldn't take much to make it really shine. From the pictures it looks like he took care of it. We'd need to see the interior to see how it has stood up. Look at the bottom grate carefully. That is often what goes first. Make sure the doors and lid operate well and look for any fine cracks around the hinges. Look for warped interior pieces too. Getting parts could be a real challenge depending on how common or uncommon it is.

As for the maker, do some more close examination and take more pictures. Look for a foundry mark or name cast into a back or interior plate or on the inside of the door or under the lid.

Congers images of walking into an old country store from my youth.

Very handsome stove birdladiusa....just so you know those pre-air tight stoves go threw a lot of wood. The 'air tight' stoves were the hi- tech stove of the 70's before EPA current generation stoves. I thinking that stove is turn of the century...unless you're into antiques I recommend something newer, at least an airtight stove from the last couple decades.

But if you can swing it a newer EPA stove is the way to go.

Lake Sebago, NY?

quote author="birdladiusa" date="1233954971"]sebago maine, why illegal, explain this. how do i know if it is here? guy lives in maine?[/quote]

Missed that one, thx. Now who has birds in the brain? :)

Highbeam mentioned that the stove would be illegal in some states, like OR because it isn't EPA approved. It should be ok in your state.

Highbeam, is this just Pierce County, WA? I hadn't heard of the state banning the sale of pre-EPA stoves. But maybe I was asleep that news day.

It sounds like she already has a stove of some sort, and may be replacing that one with this one? And it sounds like she's in love with this one already, so I'd say she goes for it IF:

- This one will connect to the same flue without issues - this requires her to measure & talk w/ whoever is going to help w/ moving and hooking it up
- The castings are all in good condition (ref. BG's post # 10) - again, needs her attention to make that call.
- The resulting setup will meet the DEFAULT installation requirements for hearth protection and clearance to combustibles.

I'm not having any luck finding default requirements right now, but I'd plan on 18" clearance / protection in all directions, sitting on at least an R1.0 hearth, if not better.

Edit - I also wholeheartedly agree - there MUST be a casting imprint on this thing somewhere. No foundry would ever make something that exquisite and NOT have their name cast into it!!

BeGreen said:
Missed that one, thx. Now who has birds in the brain? :)

Highbeam mentioned that the stove would be illegal in some states, like OR because it isn't EPA approved. It should be ok in your state.

Highbeam, is this just Pierce County, WA? I hadn't heard of the state banning the sale of pre-EPA stoves. But maybe I was asleep that news day.

OK, here's the law:

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/WAC/default.aspx?cite=173-433-100

WAC 173-433-100

"
(3) Solid fuel burning devices. After January 1, 1995, a person shall not advertise to sell, offer to sell, sell, bargain, exchange, or give away a solid fuel burning device in Washington unless it has been certified and labeled in accordance with procedures and criteria specified in "40 CFR 60 Subpart AAA - Standards of Performance for Residential Wood Heaters" as amended through July 1, 1990, and meets the following particulate air contaminant emission standards and the test methodology of the United States Environmental Protection Agency in effect on January 1, 1991, or an equivalent standard under any test methodology adopted by the United States Environmental Protection Agency subsequent to such date:

"

HAHA, BeGreen. I hope you know I wasnt trying to be a horses butt...just trying to help. And yes, I am a bird brain, mostly waterfowl, hence the bird pic in my brain is a duck. My wife will tell you it is just plain ol bird brain, tho.

And then from the puget sound clean air authority, the folks that ban burning:

http://www.pscleanair.org/actions/woodstoves/basics.aspx

"
Since 1992, only EPA-certified wood stoves and fireplace inserts can be sold in Washington.

It is illegal to install an uncertified wood stove or insert in Washington.

It is illegal to sell, give away or exchange an uncertified wood stove unless for scrap.

Installing an uncertified stove can also void insurance policy coverage in some instances.

"

No WAC though.

What is on the top 1/3 or so? Looks like something that would cook a lot of chili!

Highbeam said:

"
Since 1992, only EPA-certified wood stoves and fireplace inserts can be sold in Washington.

It is illegal to sell, give away or exchange an uncertified wood stove unless for scrap.

Installing an uncertified stove can also void insurance policy coverage in some instances.

Thanks. Unlike OR, it looks like there is no enforcement at all here. Pre-EPA stoves sell by the hundreds every year in this state. I see the quoted sections and the regulation, but no penalties specified.

BeGreen said:
Highbeam said:

"

Thanks. Unlike OR, it looks like there is no enforcement at all here. Pre-EPA stoves sell by the hundreds every year in this state. I see the quoted sections and the regulation, but no penalties specified.

Sure they have penalties:

WAC 173-433-200
Regulatory actions and penalties.

A person in violation of this chapter may be subject to the provisions of WAC 173-400-230 Regulatory actions and WAC 173-400-240 Criminal penalties.

This is the same penalty authority that allows those 1000$ penalties for violating the burn bans. Hey, it's a law just like the speed limit. We all know that the speed limit isn't always enforced.

Thanks I stand educated and fortunately have not violated the law.

FWIW, I have yet to hear of a bust for these sales. Have you?

Oregon law is clear on the subject, and reads just like the verbiage Highbeam posted from Washington state. Still, old stoves are listed on CL and other for-sale venues in Oregon. Once in a great while, I run across an ad where the seller is obviously savvy and says something like, "Would make a great planter!", or words to that effect. I think most people, sellers and buyers, are simply oblivious, and I've never seen nor heard of any indication of any sort of enforcement. Rick

Well back to the stove......
IT IS A VINTAGE LATE 1800'S CLASSIC!!!
THOSE STOVES WERE TYPICALLY ONLY FOUND IN THR ROYALE' FAMILY IN ENGLAND
they were sent as gifts to promenient people here in the states in which many blacksmiths copied and so forth.... that is a gem... might be worth money...

Status
Not open for further replies.